Thread: Fishing Gloves

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fishing Gloves

Do any of you guys use gloves when you fish? My hands ache after each tournament and I was wondering if they would help with the soreness or are they primarily used as protection.

2. Member
    I use buff gloves for sun protection on the back of my hands.

Not sure if they would keep your hands from being sore, but doubt it.

RTR

3. Member
    With chemo nueropathy in my fingers, I started using Fish Monkey gloves last fall in cooler temps. Now that it has gotten warm, I only use them in the cooler early mornings. They are comfortable and they definately have improved my numb fingers grip on the rod & reel. My hands don't get sore so I can't comment on any soreness benefit. But I like them.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

4. Banned
    Yes. i always wanted the simms ones and just never ordered them. found a knockoff at academy one day and I love them! Not sure if theyll help with the soreness a ton but youll have extra grip and prolly have to squeeze a little less so it prolly will help. Id say use them just for the skin safety reasons...and hopefully youll get a bonus of less aches.

5. Member
    do you think the soreness is coming from using equipments that are too heavy or not a good fit for your hands? maybe a change in equipment may help too, not just with getting gloves. just another dimension to look at.

I also wear sun gloves just to avoid having to use sunscreen and have noticed that an unanticipated side effect is no more bass thumb (or at least not nearly as bad), but don't think they would help with sore hands. I've been happy with all that I've tried which include Simms, Glacier Glove, and Columbia. The Columbia ones are my favorite.

Getting at the sore hands thing... I was having this problem when fishing tourneys where I was using the same technique all day, particularly with flipping, throwing a jerkbait, or throwing a chatterbait. I suppose a crankbait would do it as well, though I only throw them occasionally. The thing that ultimately helped me was gripping the rod further from the butt. It seems minor, but holding a casting rod such that the "nub" is between your middle and ring finger or even your ring finger and pinky instead of between your index and middle finger will help with this a great deal.

I initially tried this after mimicking how Aaron Martens holds a spinning rod - with his entire hand above the reel - and noticing that my sensitivity was improved and that it helped with my propensity to overwork a bait. Tried moving my hand on a casting rod and got the same benefits with sensitivity and not overworking baits. It was awkward at first but became second nature relatively quickly. When that happened, I found myself holding all my casting rods that way and found my hand and wrist weren't getting nearly as sore. So the sore hands thing wasn't why I did it to begin with, but I'm certainly happy with it!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    I too wear sun gloves for sun protection and some protection when I grab the line or fish. Sometimes in the morning before the sun is up, I would go glove less and then realize how much better the rod feels without the gloves but not willing to forego the sun protection. Even when I put on sunscreen, it would quickly wash off and my hands get getting pretty rough looking.
    Last edited by johnnybass; 07-23-2019 at 08:49 AM.

I bought a pair of these Simms sun gloves, https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Simm...page-SSSG.html wore them once or maybe twice and ordered some Glacier Gloves (which TW doesn't seem to carry anymore!) and wear the Glacier Gloves every day on the water. I got them from TW, so I don't know why they're not on their website now.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    I bought a pair of these Simms sun gloves, https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Simm...page-SSSG.html wore them once or maybe twice and ordered some Glacier Gloves (which TW doesn't seem to carry anymore!) and wear the Glacier Gloves every day on the water. I got them from TW, so I don't know why they're not on their website now.
    Amazon has them!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

10. Member
    I’m right handed so I palm the reel with my left. I pitch a jig most of the time in the middle of the day and I like to keep the line between my fingers for feel. No doubt keeping my hand locked in that position creates my problem so I think the padding may help.

11. Member
    TW has them back in stock now

12. Member
    Where gloves all the time for sun protection.
    2017 Z521C with Evinrude G2 250 HO
    2020 RT198 with Merc 150 Pro XS

13. Member
    Sun protection for me, too. Glacier Gloves work for me. All my treble hooks seem to love em as well.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

Glacier Gloves for me as well. I don't get to fish too often so an 8 hour tournament once a month plus some arthritis make my hands sore as well. The gloves do help.

Tom

Naproxen Sodium in the morning and one at bedtime helps quite a bit with the aches and pains, without any buzzed feeling or side effects. I think that's Advil, but maybe not. I use the Generic store brand.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Naproxen Sodium in the morning and one at bedtime helps quite a bit with the aches and pains, without any buzzed feeling or side effects. I think that's Advil, but maybe not. I use the Generic store brand.
    Aleve is the name brand there. Advil (and Motrin) is ibuprofen which also works for that stuff, but lasts 4 hours instead of 12. I've found that naproxen seems to work better for body aches and pains and not as well for headaches while ibuprofen is the opposite, though I am absolutely certain that would vary from one person to the next.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

I have been using the Fish Monkey fingerless gloves and really like them but I think im going to get some from HUK that have longer ends on them that go up past my wrists.
    I mainly use them for sun protection so not to get burnt but they are really comfortable also

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolltide16 View Post
    Do any of you guys use gloves when you fish? My hands ache after each tournament and I was wondering if they would help with the soreness or are they primarily used as protection.
    Hope you can find something that works; I'm interested as well.
    I have arthritis in my fingers, and it's getting worse. I fished a two day last weekend, 90 plus degree heat, plus was the weighmaster both days, 42 boats. My fingers are still sore.

19. Member
    Livin the dream
    2013 Legend 211
    250 Pro Xs

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Hope you can find something that works; I'm interested as well.
    I have arthritis in my fingers, and it's getting worse. I fished a two day last weekend, 90 plus degree heat, plus was the weighmaster both days, 42 boats. My fingers are still sore.
    I bought a pair of the Fish Monkey last week and fished a tournament this past Saturday. They made a huge difference in the way my hands felt. Definitely worth the $30 I paid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast