Gt54 uhd side imaging max range

There have been a lot of questions concerning max usable range for the uhd sidevu on this transducer. I got out yesterday on one of the clearer lakes around here and was really able to push the range out there. For me, in ideal conditions, it worked well out to about 80 feet of water. (Depending on bottom hardnesss, could be pushed out to 100) Nothing jaw-dropping. There wasnt much structure on this lake, but the varying bottom hardness shows up nicely.
    Pics from echomap ultra 106sv.
    Contrast 100%
    Interference Medium
    TVG Low
    https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...cZaEvP9WU2_2yD
    https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...bSGj9Gk8GMt1O-
    https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...zCCs6RZaL0Fg7W
    https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...rI-0TZQ1y-HU4r
    https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...gdeErOKlkJw2V_
    And here's one at 455
    https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...7nNuWSmyZFOM_J
    Last edited by SamMule; 07-21-2019 at 10:55 AM.

2. Member
    Thanks for posting. Wish I had something good to say about the images. Sorry. So far I have not been impressed with the Garmin UHD. Hopefully DonnieG will help change my opinion with some images from his new units.Hopefully Garmin will come out with a better UHD transducer.

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    What happens if you set contrast to say 35-40 and backlight to 100 and brightness to around 75-80?They look very over exposed

4. Member
    My lake is dirty and stirred up in most of the areas I have graphed with my GT54-UHD, so my range is not near what you have on your lake. I had Solix units before these 8612xsv's, so I had the best side imaging on the market (in my opinion) and the Garmin's are certainly not in the same league yet, but as far as I'm concerned, they shine in every other way, so I'm happy to give up some clarity to get the other features. I'm sure Garmin will continue to get better with side and down imaging, but for me, I'm happy with what I have. People that used units like the Solix and want to have that clarity and range, had better stick with those units if that is important to them. But for me, I'm super happy with what I got.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    Thanks for posting. Wish I had something good to say about the images. Sorry. So far I have not been impressed with the Garmin UHD. Hopefully DonnieG will help change my opinion with some images from his new units.Hopefully Garmin will come out with a better UHD transducer.
    I agree, there is nothing "pretty" about those shots, but that wasn't the point. I wanted to find my max useful range.

I didn't try messing with the contrast at all. It stayed at 100. Turning it down would probably fade it out, wouldn't it?

6. Member
    For what it's worth I just installed the same unit. Running stock right out of the box not adjusting anything my images are much better from a dark tannic stained lake than those. Sorry I will try to capture and post some images later if I can figure that out.
    so far I'm pleased with it's performance but not blown away. The down view is impressive and unlike my HB I now can get bottom depth readings @ 25mph. Built in maps are a blessing as well.

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I haven’t been blown away by any side scan we still see stuff and say what is it ???hold on let me drop livescope on it now we know!!!And that’s lowrance or hummingbird don’t matter.

8. Member
    Here is a video of GT54-UHD and a pipeline. The interesting stuff is about 1.02 into the video:

Freshwater, with about 30cm visibility. Range in meters, so multiply by three to get feet. Unit used is 8410xsv.

Erik, I like your results...Mine aren't that good, but working on it...Glad to see that you are using some Garmin units...I have all Garmins now. No Lowrance units left..

Please keep posting here..

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

10. Member
    Thanks Donnie. Garmin has been kind enough to lend me som stuff to play with this season, so I replaced my Helix with 8410xsv/GT54/LVS12. I also have two Lowrance HDS, a Simrad GO and a GPSMap 820xs onboard that are my own units.

Here is the same pipeline with Lowrance StructureScan 3D:

Just to keep the brand-bashers at bay; This is not a fair aples-to-aples comparison. SS 3D is a seperate transducer and module, GT54 is a "all in one" transducer with no module. They are not equal technically or prizewize. The flicker in the film above is from the interface between the Link-app and my IPhones screen-filming, it is not there on the actual unit used (HDS 9 Live).
    Last edited by Team Colibri; 07-31-2019 at 02:03 AM.

11. Member
    Wow! That structure scan 3D is really impressive. Like you said, it is not apples to apples but it shows what can be achieved with side scan imaging.

12. Member
    I have not tried the module-version of UHD, GCV20/GT34UHD, which would be a fair comparison. But the way I see it Garmins Sidevü might not be up there with SS 3D but it certainly is good enough. And as for compression of the images (scrollspeed vs boatspeed) the GT54 is better than SS 3D.