1999 evinrude lower unit issue

Alright guys, took my boat in for prop shaft seal replacement bc it was leaking. 1999 evinrude 200 ficht. They replaced the seals, and it still leaks. They're saying the carrier is walking, causing the prop shaft to wobble (making the brand new seals leak immediately again). Looking like it could just need a housing and cartier, or might need a rebuild or possible new lower unit. The shop is calling evinrude Monday. It's a reputable shop, but I'm new to boats and outboards. Thoughts?

I spoke with the mechanic again, said he's never seen this in 40 years of being an evinrude tech. What might cause this to happen? He quoted me 2700 for new housing and carrier, 4000 for evinrude reman complete lower unit. Where might I find one used?

2. Member
    Buy a good used one or buy a new SEI unit for about a thousand dollars. You hear some bad things about them but I had one on my 2000 Evinrude 200 with no issues. Just break them in as per their instructions. The SEI unit also comes with a three year warranty.

3. Member
    Sei would be an after market unit? I've heard it's hard to find parts for the aftermarket units. This is my first boat, and owned the boat less than a year. Took the boat in for what I thought would be an easy repair, and they found a bigger issue.

4. Member
    I found a place called Crowleys marine and they sell reman evinrude lower units. Has anyone bought from there?

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    A lot of people use Crowleys,,,,I have used them. Never heard of any major issues with them.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Contact Eddie Pope on the boards here aka Gearcaseman.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

7. Member
    You might want to try "pinning" the carrier on the port side at the 8 and 10 o'clock locations. This will anchor the carrier to the housing. I wonder if your shop removed the carrier to replace the seals ?

8. Member
    Any guess how long it might be before it fails? Supposed to take a st Clair trip in 4 days. Wondering if it's possible to make it work.

9. Member
    I think it will work fine, based on what you've described. Typically, gearcases are ticking time bombs anyway, so guessing the life of one is virtually impossible. I don't get the "Propshaft wobble". The carrier is moving because the inside of the housing has become enlarged over time, and surfacing the prop just makes it worse. The fit between the shaft and the seals remains constant, so I'm a bit confused as to what's going on.

10. Member
    The previous owner has had a new lower put on before. New lower 7 to 9 years ago, mightve been a reman unit. 1 year later, he was having issues with it, not sure on details. A different shop did the work, so maybe something wasn't done right then or a hot bearing didn't get caught/replaced. That's about the only possibility the owner/mechanic could think of. I don't wanna drop 2k or more on a unit if it's not 100% broken. Boat and motor ran perfect, just saw a small oil leak under prop 1 day after it sat for 2wks. Figured it was prop seals, no biggie. Has turned into a big mess.

11. Member
    O.K., The case could have had previous issues from the past that may have contributed to what's happening. A good inspection of the housings quality would be needed before any serious work. No good to spend money on a lame horse. Whenever I hear the word remanufactured, I get a little uneasy...Remanufactured in what way ? Brand new stuff is hard to beat as a replacement, especially when the price is in the 800.00 + dollar range with a warranty. If your case looks good internally, you may get by with just a few hundred, but you're still dealing with used parts. Don't buy into the 'ole 2000.00 speech, it's not true.

12. Member
    Well I was quoted 2700 for a new housing and carrier. 4k for a complete reman evinrude unit.

Crowley marine also sells reman rude units on their site.
    I've looked into sei (aftermarket) units and they're about 1100 for the unit.

13. Member
    Gearcasrman, I'm interested in guidance where I can find a case for 800? Brand? Details? I don't wanna spend 2k plus, def can't afford the 4k quote he gave me. Also can't do the work myself.

14. Member
    S.E.I. makes a nice case, and does a good job supporting their customers. I've sold a lot of them and Fred has too. We don't see many negative issues so far. It's a new case ready for oil and go, but you will need to use your existing shift rod, water pump and upper driveshaft. Since I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, I'll PM you on exact price, shipping, etc.

15. Member
    Can I ask how you determined the shaft was leaking?

16. Member
    A lot of times the one seal overlooked is a small seal where the shift rod goes into. Perform a pressure/vacuum test and while in the process wiggle the shift rod while spraying with soapy solution. I had the exact same lower unit and it was my problem after investigating everything else.