Thread: Trailer bunks

USA Trailer bunks

Gonna replace my bunks on my 2005 Skeeter EZ Loader trailer myself. What's the best carpet to use. Want them to last awhile.
    Thanks,

James H. Combs
    jhcombs@comcast.net
    815-979-2409

Gatorbacks .... contact Drew Tek on the Phoenix page.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    If you have a 'glass boat, you want a bunk that dries out quickly and won't hold water against the hull. Cabelas / BPS sell bunk material if you don't want to go with the synthetic wood mentioned above. . m

Gatorbacks are not synthetic wood....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Gatorbacks are not synthetic wood....
    Go treated lumber with Gatorbacks. Gatorbacks are a cover that goes around the 2x4 or 2x6 depending on your application. Like Ted said Gatorbacks are not synthetic wood, just a cover. Lets all the water escape and they are basically dry in just a few minutes unlike carpet.

6. Member
    I used Caliber bunk wrap over pressure treated 2x4, looks and works great. $57 for the wrap a couple months ago when I did mine. I did think that 12 inch spacing on the screws was a bit much and felt that the material would tend to not lay flat so I put in additional screws, now they're every 6 inches.

From Caliber website:

DISCLAIMER: BunkWrap is designed for raw aluminum boats, pontoons, and watercraft boat lifts. BunkWrap is not designed, or recommended, for gel-coat, fiberglass, or painted aluminum hulls. Although, many people use it for this application, it is at their own risk.
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

8. Member
    That is correct--but it is also correct for ANY wrap or cover or synthetic board used in a bunk. When used in a silty or sandy water it can allow that sand between the hull and the hard bunk material and scratch it. My hull is mill finished raw aluminum and it doesn't matter. My water is always clear, and like most boats where the bunks touch the hull you would have to crawl under the boat to see it. For me the slight possibility of a scratched hull, where it can't be seen, is outweighed by the benefits of a wrap.