Exclamation Transducer location???

I know this comes up often but I need opinions. I need to mount a hook2 tripleshot transducer. Ok do I mount it directly on the stern or can I mount it underneath where the drains/inlets are. I wish I knew the name for this area. I’ve seen pictures where it can be mount next to a drain or up above on the ceiling for the lack of a better term. I know the si only works at idle but I am looking for a solid place to mount. My 202 has a 6 inch plate and I have studied it and really don’t see how to use it to mount. It’s a R & R design plate. I’ve searched and have found many posts but wanted to see if anyone had any updated info on this long transducer. I plan on using the starboard/pvc board to mount the transducer to. Any suggestions are appreciated and pictures are extremely helpful.

Thanks Champ owners for your time!
    JB
    1999 202 Champ
    Gig'em Ag's '97
    "Smallies Look Out!"

2. Banned
    I hate drilling on boats especially when it's below the waterline. I'd get with Transducer Shield and Saver and mount it to my jack plate... They're a little pricey but it's worth the peace of mind... Give them a call they'll set you up right... Dan

https://www.transducershieldandsaver...le-shot-plate/

3. Member
    Do you use self tapping screws to mount to the plate?
    1999 202 Champ
    Gig'em Ag's '97
    "Smallies Look Out!"

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Bollinger View Post
    Do you use self tapping screws to mount to the plate?
    They provide the nuts and bolts and any spacers needed if I remember correctly. I drill and tap the jack plate... A little extra work but I think it make for a cleaner mount... Dan

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    They provide the nuts and bolts and any spacers needed if I remember correctly. I drill and tap the jack plate... A little extra work but I think it make for a cleaner mount... Dan
    Thanks for the help. It’s much appreciated.
    I found a spot to to mount via jackplate. Last question, can the tripleshot transducer handle the water pressure of higher speeds?
    I have come up with a way to mount it and can slightly skim when on plane. I can bump 70mph but do it rarely. I was wondering if it can handle that speed. I was just thinking of running the traditional chirp at that speed. Mind you I have not upgraded electronics for 15 years so my knowledge of the newer technology and what it can do on plane is very limited. I understand the down and side scan works at a speed roughly 6mph and slower.
    1999 202 Champ
    Gig'em Ag's '97
    "Smallies Look Out!"

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Bollinger View Post
    Thanks for the help. It’s much appreciated.
    I found a spot to to mount via jackplate. Last question, can the tripleshot transducer handle the water pressure of higher speeds?
    I have come up with a way to mount it and can slightly skim when on plane. I can bump 70mph but do it rarely. I was wondering if it can handle that speed. I was just thinking of running the traditional chirp at that speed. Mind you I have not upgraded electronics for 15 years so my knowledge of the newer technology and what it can do on plane is very limited. I understand the down and side scan works at a speed roughly 6mph and slower.
    I would think as long as its in the water and facing the correct direction it should give you a depth reading at the very least while running. I doubt high speeds would have any ill effects if mounted correctly unless you hit a hard object with it somehow.
    1997 Champion 202 w/225 ProMax

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    I hate drilling on boats especially when it's below the waterline. I'd get with Transducer Shield and Saver and mount it to my jack plate... They're a little pricey but it's worth the peace of mind... Give them a call they'll set you up right... Dan

https://www.transducershieldandsaver...le-shot-plate/
    Russell Marine came out with a new jackplate mount also, and showed it in one of their videos. I believe this is it here: https://www.russellmarineproducts.co...rmp-tmjp-1.htm

Comparatively priced, may be a better option, may not, just another product to check out.
    1997 Champion 202 w/225 ProMax

8. Banned
    I'd give Russell Marine a call and at least discuss it... Good people... Dan