Thread: Hook issue

Banned

Hook issue

Hooks are too good. Problem I'm having is removing the hooks without damaging the fish. Hooks are Strike King Jointed Structure Head rigged with craws or creature baits. I love the set up. Love the hook up ratio. I have to use pliers to remove the hooks on EVERY single fish. Hook always lands in the upper side jaw, often thru the basses eye. Don't have the issue with any other bait. Something I'm doing wrong or is there a less lethal option as far as a weighted swivel head hook?

2. Banned
    why dont you just smash down the barb? thats required in some places for reasons like you are describing

Anyone who has fished their entire life has at one point or another blinded a fish. Flattening the barbs will naturally be less harmful to the fish but your landing ratio will plummet. Again, this may not save an eye. No good deed goes unpunished.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

You might try 1-2 smaller size hook in the same style. Hooks through the eyes really bother me...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    You might try 1-2 smaller size hook in the same style. Hooks through the eyes really bother me...
    good advice!
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    That's what I do...
    Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Hooks are too good. Problem I'm having is removing the hooks without damaging the fish. Hooks are Strike King Jointed Structure Head rigged with craws or creature baits. I love the set up. Love the hook up ratio. I have to use pliers to remove the hooks on EVERY single fish. Hook always lands in the upper side jaw, often thru the basses eye. Don't have the issue with any other bait. Something I'm doing wrong or is there a less lethal option as far as a weighted swivel head hook?
    I carry side cutters on my boat at all times. If I hook one near the eye and it comes through I just cut the barb end off and it comes out without ripping etc. I figure hooks are cheap and im not fishing for $$ so I can take the time to tie on a new hook. Heck I should probably be changing hooks more often any ways.

I also dont like using the big thick gauge hooks with the huge barbs. To me the time it takes to get them unhooked just isnt worth it. But thats just me.

8. Member
    I have not used a barbed single hook on the Potomac in 12 years and have not had a problem with landing fish. I just got tired of trying to get a barbed hook out from a deep hook. Now it is just reach in, back out the hook and send it on its way. I do not do it to trebles. When I decided to start crunching down the barbs all of my fishing friends said, "boy, you are gonna lose a lot of fish now". Hasn't happened.

9. Member
    I smash down the barbs unless I am in one of our little tournys. Then, in a tournament, a few weeks ago, I landed 5 bass (all small). I looked at the hook and realized it was one of the smashed down barb hooks. I had forgotten to switch.

Unless actually landing the fish and weighing it is important, I don't care if a fish jumps next to the boat and throws the hook.