We had a Epic Day on Lake Michigan (Lake Trout & Salmon)

Every year I make the trip back to see my family in Indiana and we go on a fishing charter on Lake Michigan for Salmon & Trout. This year we ended up with 21 fish, 18 big Lake Trout, and 3 Coho Salmon. It was a epic day out there...beautiful weather and awesome fishing. It was great to see everyone and catch up over some good fishing. We fished about 15 miles offshore in 100 - 140ft of water and caught fish on planers, dipsies, and down riggers. I was definitely a special day for us all.

Last edited by 1Cast 1Fish; 07-21-2019 at 12:51 PM.

I live there but don't fish Trout or Salmon lol! Glad my area provided you with some great fishing! Looks like you launched out of Burns Ditch at the Portage Marina.
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited

Surprised no one has picked up on this, but I believe the OP to be over the limit for Lake Trout.
    I am not delusional,
    I see all illusions!

Quote Originally Posted by lakes View Post
    Surprised no one has picked up on this, but I believe the OP to be over the limit for Lake Trout.
    Limit is 3 Lake Trout each....6 people @ 3 Lakers each = 18

Seems like a lot, but we got our full bag limit and will be having some awesome fish dinners the remainder of the year.

http://www.eregulations.com/indiana/...n-regulations/

I only saw 4 anglers in your trophy pic, so you are counting the captain and first mate as taking fish?
    I am not delusional,
    I see all illusions!

Quote Originally Posted by lakes View Post
    I only saw 4 anglers in your trophy pic, so you are counting the captain and first mate as taking fish?
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited

7. Member
    Isn't that called a Captains Limit?

8. Member
    Nice day of fishing for sure! I chartered with my dad for years out of Michigan City and our clients always got fish on my license and my dad's.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    Nice day of fishing for sure! I chartered with my dad for years out of Michigan City and our clients always got fish on my license and my dad's.
    That has always been my experiance as well. Michigan City is a great place to go out of...I miss fishing that area

10. Member
    I am planning on going fishing in Lake Michigan in the beginning of September. A friend of mine has a guide lined up, that’s all I know. What type of fish would be the norm for that time of year?

11. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    I am planning on going fishing in Lake Michigan in the beginning of September. A friend of mine has a guide lined up, that’s all I know. What type of fish would be the norm for that time of year?
    Assuming you are going salmon fishing, most likely you'll be catching Chinook and probably some steelhead. Both fish will be fun to catch.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    Assuming you are going salmon fishing, most likely you'll be catching Chinook and probably some steelhead. Both fish will be fun to catch.
    Steelhead are a blast to catch...they are also pretty aerobatic many times...a real fun fish to tangle with as said above.