Boat and trailer bouncing

Going to the lake yesterday I noticed my trolling motor head was bouncing up and down a lot. I looked at the tires and wheels and can't see any reason this is happening. Going to Discount Tire tomorrow to have it checked out. Anybody ever have this problem?

2. Member
    With the boat off the trailer have someone back the trailer down slow and watch for one or both tires to shimmy, sounds to me like you have broken belts in one or both tires.....

3. Member
    its a dual axle. Thanks for the tip

Bad tires my brother! Been there done that. You have a separated tire on your trailer.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

5. Banned
    Yep... You have a belt break loose. Jack up one side at a time and look for a high spot, tire out of round... Dan

6. Member
    Check to ensure your bow eye is all the way against the roller and the winch strap is tight also.
    Last edited by K.D.; 07-20-2019 at 06:30 PM.

7. Member
    Yep, tires!

8. Member
    Winch strap and bow eye are good. Must be the tires. Thanks to everyone who responded.

9. Member
    Had a belt come loose inside a tire once, looked in the rear view mirror and saw the trolling motor bouncing a foot or so off the bow.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Had a belt come loose inside a tire once, looked in the rear view mirror and saw the trolling motor bouncing a foot or so off the bow.
    That's exactly what mine is doing.

11. Banned
    Just had 2 of mine go bad. Put 4 new ones on.

12. Member
    Welcome to the world of trailer tires,,,most are junk

Tires, a few years back I put 4 new Kumho 857 trailer tires on. Within 1000 miles the trailer was bouncing, ( tandem trailer ). Checked the tires and found a broken belt, replaced under warranty. A week later a broken belt in one of the original tires , replaced under warranty, but I had to pay for the shipping ( 25.00). A month later, again a broken belt in one of the original tires, this time took the money and bought 2 other brand of tires. Still have one of those pos, they wouldn’t replace the 4th one because I wasn’t going to run it until it blew out.

14. Member
    Best thing I did when I replaced tires is I went from C to D load rated tire, made a big difference in how it towed, mine is a single axle.

15. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    The bouncing of the trolling motor head leads me to believe the boat may have not been on the trailer all the way. I know if I don't push mine up real good and snug against the bow eye roller the nose of my boat has up/down movement when towing. As for the ties make sure you have trailer tires. Passenger tires lack the stiffness needed to haul a load. Load class C is the most common rated tralier tire used on boat trailers. You might get by with load class B on a tandem but with a single axle or even a tandem axle load class C is the most common weight rated used. As for tire pressure read the sidewall and run what's recommended. A load class B will "typically" run 35 psi and load class C 50 psi. In the rare event someone ran load class D they will run 65 psi.

When I first got my boat/trailer it had load class B tires on my single axle trailer. They were bare minimum as far as weight rating for my rig. I noticed when I hit a bump my trailer had more bounce than I liked. As soon as those tires showed signs of wear I went with load class C and my trailer bounce went away.

16. Member
    Yep don't mess around.. Goodyear endurance load class D. Keep them inflated to 65 psi and check before every trip.

Runs like it's on rails.

17. Member
    Bow strap is tight and up to the bumper (see previous post). Tires are load class C. Most of you that responded were right on the money...it was a tire separation. Discount Tire could see it. I missed it. New tire= no more bouncing. If you are going to fish in the summer time here in Arizona, you are going to go when it's 110 degrees much of the time. Pretty tough on tires. I have no complaints. The separated tire has been on the trailer since 2012.