Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer bunks scuffing the hull.

I have a 2017 phoenix 921PHX. I noticed that the bunks are scuffing the black hull on my boat. Anybody know of a good fix for this. The carpet on the bunks isn't very thick!

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I nice new set of Gatorbak XPs will help but there are a lot of variables to what causes the scuffing.

2016-08-17 18.29.12.jpg

let me know if you need a price, I discount to BBC and Phoenix Owners
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Member
    how much are we talking???

4. Member
    What color is the bottom of the boat?

5. Member
    Black gel

6. Member
    Same problem here!

It happens. My boat has a black hull too with all the same bunk scratches. The fish don’t seem to care. The first owner of my 721 fished NE Texas lakes with all that red sand/dirt. I changed to gatorbaks and there must have been five pounds of that red sand in the bunk carpet. Switch to gatorbaks to minimize future wear and fish on.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

8. Member
    tks

9. Member
    I think gatorbaks are the way to go, but who doesn't have scratches on a black bottom boat? I have idled over a 100 stumps. the bottom of my shoes are scuffed too.
    Matthew 6:33
    2020 921elite

10. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    You will be amazed at how smooth the Gatorbak XPs load, even you guys that have Gatorbaks now which were great but these XP are just Awesome, Although I have no need to power load and dont care to. I had to be a test Dummy for these before they were ever released and I purposely left the trailer further out of the water where power loading would be required, still slides up so easy it could be wrenched by hand. 6 months later and still looking good in front of the bunks
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

11. Member
    Just got mine on yesterday Andy looking good ready to take the boat to the shop and get the scratches removed I will give you guys an update if it solved my problems

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Dan View Post
    Just got mine on yesterday Andy looking good ready to take the boat to the shop and get the scratches removed I will give you guys an update if it solved my problems
    Please do

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

13. Member
    Well i guess I'll joining you and replacing the bunks. Oct 2019, 920 and scratches look awful and makes me sick to my stomach, didn't expect them to scratch up that bad. if i knew how to upload a pic i would post. i have contacted Phoenix (Tim) only response i got was send pics and vin, nothing after that, but i figure its only been a couple days.

Guys, I've had my Phoenix a year now and it has a few scratches. But, I know exactly when and what caused them in my case. I didn't back my trailer in far enough. I knew when I heard that squeak as I powered it harder onto the trailer I was probably not deep enough. You need to get the trailer in deep enough to prevent this I think.

15. Member
    I have the older model gatorbacks and if your trailer loads easy, they are the way to go. I can only imagine how good the newer model are. If you are doing a bunch of power loading then I think you need to fix your trailer as the first step then add gatorbacks. I have a hard time seeing how the carpet alone is scratching boats unless you are like me initially where I had to power load a bunch because my trailer was not well fit to my boat.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

16. Member
    back up deep to get bunks wet.then pull up to right position
    TrackerUser

Fix the scratches with a material called Hull Speed. Lightly scuff up hull wipe clean and roll on a couple light coats with a small foam roller.

18. Member
    I use Liquid Roller spray on lubricant on the front third of my bunks. You can look at the carpet and see where the spray is needed. No scratches and you get the benefits of loading and unloading with a shallower trailer depth. You do have to be hooked all the way to the water and before you come out.

From what I've read for months, seems like Marine Master trailers are not the quality one would expect.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

20. Member
    The sand and dirt in the water do it. It just builds up in the carpet in no time. Put the gatorbak xps on mine second trip out. Loaded it twice and with it on a boat lift i got under it and could not see any wear or marks from the trailer gatorbaks. Have a black hull as well. Only thing i can see I need todo now is shim one of my boards on the front some. Everything else worked out good. Only bad part was I used new boards and finding a 3/4 round over bit to prep the new boards was a pain! I think the gatorbaks are worth it if they last like I feel they will over carpet. All you dirt and sediment washes out in the groves as the boat sits on top of the ribs a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast