Thread: Patoka level.

Patoka level.

Why is Patoka still sitting so high? They have the dam pretty much shut down. Seems like they would be drawing hard like Monroe is doing right now.

Probably because they have been dumping water from all the other corps lakes in the state for about 3 months. Rivers are still high because of that.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

3. Banned
    Not sure, but the lake is fishing pretty dang good right now.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    Probably because they have been dumping water from all the other corps lakes in the state for about 3 months. Rivers are still high because of that.
    So Patoka drew the short stick?

Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by Z20basser View Post
    So Patoka drew the short stick?
    Well huntington res was poorly planned and built, so it being high isn't a great idea. Salamonie and Missy usually get drawn down fairly quickly, though it was essentially July for salamonie. They can dump upwards of 2,000 cfs a second from all 3, often in the 3000 range. Come down about 1.5 ft a day. Water from those three all end up in the wabash river, and ultimately in the ohio. Wabash river has been fairly high for months.

Patoka, even at a high rate is only going to drop about 3" a day. So I would guess that it does get the short straw. Corps office could probably answer the question if you called them.

7. Member
    At 151cfs release, that’s not a short straw. That’s the dam shut down. That is less release than when the rivers were all out of the banks.
    Would think they would at least get it down to allow going under the bridges.

8. Member
    Well huntington res was poorly planned and built, so it being high isn't a great idea. Salamonie and Missy usually get drawn down fairly quickly, though it was essentially July for salamonie. They can dump upwards of 2,000 cfs a second from all 3, often in the 3000 range. Come down about 1.5 ft a day. Water from those three all end up in the wabash river, and ultimately in the ohio. Wabash river has been fairly high for months.

Patoka, even at a high rate is only going to drop about 3" a day. So I would guess that it does get the short straw. Corps office could probably answer the question if you called them.
    The 3 reservoirs you mentioned are at pool or close to it. Patoka has been shut down at the dam for several weeks now. I dont understand your logic. They were releasing patoka hard when the rivers were much higher than now, so I'm pretty sure they could let the water out if they wanted to.

My best guess is because everything downstream of the reservoir is still high. According to the USGS site, the Wabash at Mt Carmel Il. is about 3 ft. higher than normal.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post
    My best guess is because everything downstream of the reservoir is still high. According to the USGS site, the Wabash at Mt Carmel Il. is about 3 ft. higher than normal.
    Yup, plus they're dropping Monroe 3 inches a day, can't let em all out at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Z20basser View Post
    The 3 reservoirs you mentioned are at pool or close to it. Patoka has been shut down at the dam for several weeks now. I dont understand your logic. They were releasing patoka hard when the rivers were much higher than now, so I'm pretty sure they could let the water out if they wanted to.
    At the time time, they weren't. It is just a theory. When I looked at the wabash river gauge originally it was still pretty high.

Has anyone that cares actually called the corps office and asked?

12. Member
    Give it a try and report back to us.

13. Member
    Guess he failed.........
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    Give it a try and report back to us.
    2019 Triton 20 TRX Patriot, Merc 250 4 stroke

14. Member
    Still sitting around 3" below flood pool. Dropping .1 " a day releasing under 500cfs.
    I don't get it.

15. Member
    Apparently, a super dry July and low water levels doesn’t allow them to drop the lake? That’s all I can come up with.

Well huntington res was poorly planned and built, so it being high isn't a great idea.
    Curious why you think this?

Headed to the lake tomorrow so hope it is fishing good. Seems like boat traffic is still decent.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjochum73 View Post
    Headed to the lake tomorrow so hope it is fishing good. Seems like boat traffic is still decent.
    Decent? One phrase comes to mind in regards to boat traffic on Patoka right now (Caddyshack)

19. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I'd think boat traffic (during the week) should probably slack off a bit from now on. Most schools have started that should help some. Then, after Labor Day weekend, things should really calm down.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.