taper for frog rod

Looking at a new expride for frog fishing and maybe some flipping early in the year. They have a 7'7" heavy with a moderate fast taper. Do you think that taper would help with frog hookups and would I be sacrificing any power getting fish out of thick stuff? Otherwise I might go with the 7'3 XH.

2. Member
    Any sacrifice in power would be made up for by the longer length in that rod. I personally like a 7'3" rod because a rod much longer than that makes walking a frog more laborsome.

3. Member
    I might be an outlier but I got a 7'3 Expride heavy for frogging and thought it was too stiff. I don't think you need a heavy rod for frogging. I was hell bent on transitioning all my rods to NRXs and Exprides but now have NRXs, Exprides, Dobyns and ALX rods. The Toadface is the right frog rod. It's a stiff medium heavy with just the right tip to walk frogs and still get a good hook set

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    I might be an outlier but I got a 7'3 Expride heavy for frogging and thought it was too stiff. I don't think you need a heavy rod for frogging. I was hell bent on transitioning all my rods to NRXs and Exprides but now have NRXs, Exprides, Dobyns and ALX rods. The Toadface is the right frog rod. It's a stiff medium heavy with just the right tip to walk frogs and still get a good hook set
    Spot on! ALX Rods Toadface = MH+ is a MH tip with Heavy power backend.

Length is great for setting a hook. Big rod = big hookset. But you got to balance that with being able to work the frog too.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    Spot on! ALX Rods Toadface = MH+ is a MH tip with Heavy power backend.

Length is great for setting a hook. Big rod = big hookset. But you got to balance that with being able to work the frog too.
    sounds like an awesome rod. I was basically stuck with shimano, I had a broken crucial I was trading in with their express rod service plan. Got a new zodias 50% off.