Retro fit new livewell latches

I have a 2010 Puma FTD and I might be doing a carpet replacement this winter. I was wondering if I were to weld a plug for the Southco latch, could I use the new latches? The lid catch is easy, but is there any backing to support a screw for the latch?
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    This was a subject when the new style latches were first introduced. You may find more info by doing a search on here or the owners forum.
    If I remember correctly, it required a spacer for the latch. Maybe BCB will have more input.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

They require a solid spacing for the latch tooth. It’s possible though not a simple, not too bad though.

I figured I’d have to make s spacer for the latch hook on the lid, but i’m worried about putting screws in the fiberglass for the latch itself. Is there enough thickness there to hold the screws? I wasn’t sure if you used extra glass or something to hold the screws in the new boats that come with the latch.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    I am going to replace my southcos on my 11 puma with the v2 vents and upgrade to the new latches at some point. Looks like a pretty easy job to me. Pretty sure the lids are aluminum.

The lids are aluminum, but I'm talking about the latch itself and where it screws in to the fiberglass on the seat back section.

Https://www.basscatstore.com/compressionlatch.aspx
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    I am going to replace my southcos on my 11 puma with the v2 vents and upgrade to the new latches at some point. Looks like a pretty easy job to me. Pretty sure the lids are aluminum.
    Good thinking there!
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

I've debated doing this exact change to mine as well.

BCB: any idea how much of a spacer would be required under the "tooth"? What material would you guys use?
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    Good thinking there!

9. Member
    I’m planning to do this on my 2008 Cougar. I ordered the latches and asked BCB for mounting hardware and plastic spacers used in the current boats for the ‘tooth’. They sent screws for mounting the ‘tooth’ to the livewell lid, but it should use machine screws and nylon lock nuts. I can get those. The latch itself is mounted to the hull with rivets, which they supplied. The spacers are 1/4”, but I think they need to be 1/2”. I haven’t confirmed it, but it appears the livewell lids on the new boats don’t sit back as far as the older boats. I’d like to know how thick the spacer should be if others have done it. If not, I’ll let y’all know what I figure out.

441C9FC1-6046-479E-A360-E7C0C5023337.jpeg
    Last edited by Bahala; 07-23-2019 at 12:45 PM.

So BCB sent 1/4'' spacers? Have you had a response on the 1/2'' request?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahala View Post
    I’m planning to this on my 2008 Cougar. I ordered the latches and asked BCB for mounting hardware and plastic spacers used in the current boats for the ‘tooth’. They sent screws for mounting the ‘tooth’ to the livewell lid, but it should use machine screws and nylon lock nuts. I can get those. The latch itself is mounted to the hull with rivets, which they supplied. The spacers are 1/4”, but I think they need to be 1/2”. I haven’t confirmed it, but it appears the livewell lids on the new boats don’t sit back as far as the older boats. I’d like to know how thick the spacer should be if others have done it. If not, I’ll let y’all know what I figure out.

11. Member
    Aruss - Yes, BCB sent 1/4" spacers. These are the once used on current production boats. I have not requested 1/2" spacers as I doubt they make them. I need to find some hard plastic or aluminum and make 1/2" spacers and see if they work.

12. Member
    After taking a closer look at my lids I may rethink this and see about getting 2 new lids if they will fit. I am confident I can make the old lids work, however I'm not sure if I will be happy with how they look with a 1/2" spacer. I have the means to fab some lids up myself as well. I will keep you guys posted with what direction I decide to go.

The lids are made differently on newer boats to accommodate the newer draw latches. It’s more than just spacers.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by Bahala View Post
    I’m planning to do this on my 2008 Cougar. I ordered the latches and asked BCB for mounting hardware and plastic spacers used in the current boats for the ‘tooth’. They sent screws for mounting the ‘tooth’ to the livewell lid, but it should use machine screws and nylon lock nuts. I can get those. The latch itself is mounted to the hull with rivets, which they supplied. The spacers are 1/4”, but I think they need to be 1/2”. I haven’t confirmed it, but it appears the livewell lids on the new boats don’t sit back as far as the older boats. I’d like to know how thick the spacer should be if others have done it. If not, I’ll let y’all know what I figure out.

BCB: What other alterations would be required to make the change on an older boat aside from spacers?
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    After taking a closer look at my lids I may rethink this and see about getting 2 new lids if they will fit. I am confident I can make the old lids work, however I'm not sure if I will be happy with how they look with a 1/2" spacer. I have the means to fab some lids up myself as well. I will keep you guys posted with what direction I decide to go.

Filling the large round latch holes and mounting the new draw latches.

Would the new 2019 Puma FTD lids fit a 2010 Puma FTD? If I could order new ones when I do my re-carpet it will save welding a plug in my current lids for the old latch and having to use a big spacer.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

They don’t buy the lids separate as they pattern build the lids for one boat, maximizing cutout.

18. Member
    I have elected to retrofit the latches. I started laying them out yesterday and the more I thought about it, the less sense it made. The hook will need to be spaced out 1/2"~5/8", and while it would probably be ok, I wasn't comfortable with that large a spacer. I also decided there is no need for the VT2 vents in BassCat livewells. The large, triangular livewells was one of the reasons I bought my boat and I have never had a fish care issue. Trying to enlarge the latch hole to accept the VT2 vent would present a whole new set of challenges. It can be done, but in the end I decided it wasn't worth it. I'm going to order a pair of Marine Town latches instead.