Really struggling with SI set up on bow unit (Helix 12 G2N)

Fairly new to this and struggling with SI on my bow unit (Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N); I think I now have the correct transducer (XTM 9 20 MSI T) but am still not getting the images I need. Console unit works great with both SI and DI but the front unit is nowhere near the images on console. I have watched/read many tips and technique type things however still missing something. I have gone back to the default settings and still not showing much. Using the exact settings as console unit doesn't help either.

Can you more experienced answer a few questions:
    1- we fish almost exclusively shallow water (less than 8 feet). Will I get ANY picture using SI if the bottom is five feet or less from transducer?
    2- how fast must you be going? I've matched chart speed to boat speed but even at 4mph not getting anything.

I ask these because I am beginning to think that I may be expecting too much from SI in the water we fish.

For those who fish similar water any recommendations for settings? If it matters boat is ZX250.

Thank you in advance!

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Are the software versions the same?

Are your Helix's networked? If they are set the bow unit to use the same xducer that the console is using (or vice versa) to see what the pic is like. Might be an xducer issue.

SI works just fine in 5-8 ft of water.

When I am using SI at the bow I might be going 1 MPH at most.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Coppermushroom View Post
    Fairly new to this and struggling with SI on my bow unit (Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N); I think I now have the correct transducer (XTM 9 20 MSI T) but am still not getting the images I need. Console unit works great with both SI and DI but the front unit is nowhere near the images on console. I have watched/read many tips and technique type things however still missing something. I have gone back to the default settings and still not showing much. Using the exact settings as console unit doesn't help either.

Can you more experienced answer a few questions:
    1- we fish almost exclusively shallow water (less than 8 feet). Will I get ANY picture using SI if the bottom is five feet or less from transducer?
    2- how fast must you be going? I've matched chart speed to boat speed but even at 4mph not getting anything.

I ask these because I am beginning to think that I may be expecting too much from SI in the water we fish.

For those who fish similar water any recommendations for settings? If it matters boat is ZX250.

Thank you in advance!
    I'm not sure what you're seeing exactly. Are you seeing something; just not as well as the console unit? Or, do you have just a blank screen? Some lake bottoms are pretty featureless for the most part. Try scanning an area like the boat ramp or rip rap on the dam or something where you can see a familiar object.

Also expect to see a sort of venetian blind effect when you turn or even slightly adjust the trolling motor. You should be able to get some sort of image until you stick the transducer into the mud.

S00008.jpgS00003.jpgS00022.jpgS00016.jpg

All of these images come from my Helix 10 SI Mega G2n mounted on an Ultrex. The first two show some trolling motor interference I was experiencing at the time.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

4. Member
    Sooner - my console graph images look like yours shown below, my bow graph - when rolling over the same water - shows nothing of the sort. It's not blank but more like a snowy old TV screen on each side of the boat. I should have taken a picture this morning and will do so next time. I have not found the winning combo of speed, sensitivity, chart speed, depth, etc, etc to get the same quality images that the console has (I wouldn't even call what the bow unit shows "images").

Sooner - my console graph images look like yours shown below, my bow graph - when rolling over the same water - shows nothing of the sort. It's not blank but more like a snowy old TV screen on each side of the boat. I should have taken a picture this morning and will do so next time. I have not found the winning combo of speed, sensitivity, chart speed, depth, etc, etc to get the same quality images that the console has (I wouldn't even call what the bow unit shows "images").
    What is the unit model at your console?

The XTM 9 20 MSI T is the exact same transducer as the transom version, just the mount is different.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I'll bet you have a bad case of trolling motor interference. Look closely at the first image or the one I'll post here. Notice the "snowy" look that is part of those images? That is caused by trolling motor on and off. Do you see a clearer image with the TM off...just coasting?

S00006.jpg
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

7. Member
    if not the interference that SoonerFan asked, you need to check your chart speed. Fishing on TM, I use 1 or 2 for scroll speed. Any more and it gets all washed out/smeared.

Mine works fine in shallow water. Just dont try to go out to far. 2mph seems to be my optimal speed with screen speed on 3.

find diesel gas stations near me

9. Member
    Monte - that is a great image. Here is mine same width and speed screen 2 (my console unit looks just like your image). I am surely doing something wrong here. DI works fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you on the trolling motor in that picture? If not, what was running...livewell pump or bilge pump maybe? It sure looks like RF or electrical static interference to me.

Just as a test, I would run a hot wire straight from the battery to the Helix and see what you get...then if it's clean then start turing things on. If its no a clean picture then call Humminbird.

Do you know how to take a screen image onto your card? I'm sure instructions are on a sticky or somewhere around here. Makes analyzing the images easier.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

11. Member
    I believe in that pic the troller was not on but rather hanging off the front while my son drove and I fiddled with settings. I don't think any other electronics / pumps/ bilges were on. That is the same image I get however when using the troller. You think some type of electrical interference? Could be but I can't think of anything else that was on.

I took this screen shot a couple of days ago for this thread:
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Wayne's always got the good stuff.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.