0X66 200 VMAX Tilt and Trim Motor Issue...need help please.

I have a 2002 VMAX 200 OX66 on my Ranger. The tilt and trim was starting to sound as if the motor was "weak" so I ordered a replacement from DB Electric which had great reviews. All indications it is a direct fit replacement and I don't suspect my current problem is the new motor. I put the new replacement motor on and other than the challenge getting the bolt off on the back left hand side it seemed straightforward. Two wires to the terminals under the motor housing and making sure the O-ring was on the new motor. That and making sure the "tab" on the bottom of the motor aligns into the slot on the top of the tilt and trim unit when it is bolted on. All good it seemed but when I attempt to trim the motor up or down it sounds as if the new trim motor is just spinning and not engaging. I pulled the motor to confirm the tab was in the slot and tried again. Same result. There is no obvious engagement of the tilt and trim unit in any way either by sound or visual movement of the big motor. Any idea on what my problem might be? Prior to me changing the motor it sounded "weak" and ultimately gave out while on the water on the same day I intended to install the new motor referenced. Thanks.
    Randall Heinrich
    Alpharetta, GA
    2002 Ranger 195VS
    200 Yamaha VMax EFI

2. Member
    Is the shaft length out of the DB pump motor the same length as the original pump motor?

What item did you order and receive from DB?

3. Member
    The trim motor I ordered from DB looks exactly like factory motor I removed. The shaft length on motor is the same and looks to line up with tab on top of trim unit. Could this be a fluid issue? Thing is there is no reaction from the trim unit as I only hear motor freely spinning. Thanks
    Randall Heinrich
    Alpharetta, GA
    2002 Ranger 195VS
    200 Yamaha VMax EFI

4. Member
    If the system has not been bled that would be the first course of action. Don't think that is the issue but...

Tilt the motor fully up. Add as much fluid as it will take. Take the motor to the full down position. Even if you have to push it down. Then take it back up to the full tilt position. Helping as needed. See if need more fluid. Repeat until it does not take any more fluid.

If that does not work I would remove the DB pump motor and compare it to the old pump motor. Specifically the length of the shaft. Maybe reinstall the old motor and see if when it is connected directly to a good battery will it power the trim motor.

5. Member
    Thanks for the reply. Plan to try this tomorrow.
    Randall Heinrich
    Alpharetta, GA
    2002 Ranger 195VS
    200 Yamaha VMax EFI

6. Member
    First make sure the unit is full of fluid. Then you have to bleed the air out of the system. It doesn't take much air in the unit to cause it to not work.

7. Member
    Thanks again for replies as I got everything working once I added trim fluid. I bled for air and followed the instructions listed under sticky". All seems to work great. However, I noticed some of the old trim fluid that came out as I pumped new fluid in seemed a milky brown. I assume that is water that has seeped into the unit. Assuming the unit is working fine is it safe to use for a few months until I would send entire tilt and trim unit on to be rebuilt? Thanks
    Randall Heinrich
    Alpharetta, GA
    2002 Ranger 195VS
    200 Yamaha VMax EFI