Prop advice Triton 186dc / BF150

Need any help/advice on setup. I have been running a Powertech OFS 3 blade 21pitch on this motor for a long time. Holeshot and top end were satisfactory. Motor is set on 6" jackplate extremely high, but has always had good water pressure. I am currently set a 2" under pad on this rig. Now I have added a lot of weight on the back with the addition of 2 12' Talons. Really slow holeshot now, which I expected, so I need to re-prop this motor. Was thinking of a 4 blade OFS in either a 19 or 20 pitch, but I have also seen a lot of talk about the newer RKR4 powertech prop. I see it is only a 14.5" diameter prop. Do you guy's think the RKR4 prop would be a better choice, or stay with a OFS and go to the 4 blade? any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by BassBustingDave; 07-19-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Triton TR186DC / Mercury 175 Pro XS 4s Serial #3B043278 / Dual 12' Talons / Dual Solix 12" SI / Mega 360 / Garmin 1242xsv w/ LiveScope LVS34 / Motorguide TM / Bob’s 6" Hydraulic JP

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I would go with lithium Ion batteries to counter the weight. Dropping pitch will help your hole shot but you’ll lose top end. Lithium Pro in a 24 or 36 in a single battery or run 2 in parallel.

Try a fury 4 or tempest plus I’d you can.

Thanks for your reply Hickory Legend.. I looked at these two you suggested, and it appears the Fury 4 only comes in a 24 pitch and up. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is a lot of bite for my motor. I don't think I could turn it well. On the Tempest, it looks like it is a 3 blade. Do you think staying witht he 21 pitch will out perform my current ofs 21p prop? Your idea about the Lithium Ion batteries is something I thought of also, before trying to re-prop. I am going to remove weight from the back of my boat equivalent to going to Lithium Ion batteries and put in the water this afternoon to see if the weight reduction will do it. If so, that will solve my problem. I will let you know how my current setup performs removing that weight.

Triton TR186DC / Mercury 175 Pro XS 4s Serial #3B043278 / Dual 12' Talons / Dual Solix 12" SI / Mega 360 / Garmin 1242xsv w/ LiveScope LVS34 / Motorguide TM / Bob’s 6" Hydraulic JP

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    That sound like a sound solution!! See how it does with less weight before going to a different prop!!

I removed my 2 series 27 trolling batteries, and replaced with approx. 30lbs of weight in that tray. The back of the boat is sitting a little higher, but not much. Holeshot did improve some, but only slightly. My holeshot was still slow at 10-11 seconds with 2 people (Holeshot was probably 15-17 seconds before removing the battery weight). Could turn 6000 RPM WOT (Could hit 6100-6200 previously before adding Talons).
    I still could not get out of the hole with water in the livewell. I think I am going to have to go to a 4 blade prop to get an acceptable holeshot, and to even get out of the hole with water in the livewell, but may also still need to install Lithium Ion batteries to help with the transom height in the rear (boat is still very low in the back). One other thought I had, but don't know how this impacts everything, is my motor height. I am currently set at 2" below pad, which is as high as the motor can be set (Jackplate and Motor), but I still have good water pressure of 22-23psi. Would lowering the motor some give me a better holeshot? What would that do to my RPM's and Top End?

6. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    No motor higher gives you a better hole shot. With a Hydraulic JP you would raise it all the way and lower as it breaks over.
    Looks like you may need to drop pitch size.

7. Member
    I recently re-motored my 19' nitro with a 150 hp Honda. I played with a few props and the one I settled on is a 4 bladed 17 pitch Honda stainless. I started out with 19p tempest and played with the plugs without much luck. The best I got was 54 mph and it wouldn't hit my 6300 rpm limit. My 17p four blade takes me to my limit. Having said that my speed is around 50 ish and I'm alright with that. Another mod I made was moving my two trolling motor batteries up front. which helped alot. I'm running at 2.75 under pad. I traded a fast 70 mph two stroke for a 50 mph very reliable and economic 4 stroke (quiet and no smoke). I couldn't be happier. Just my experience.....take it for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by rjd View Post
    I recently re-motored my 19' nitro with a 150 hp Honda. I played with a few props and the one I settled on is a 4 bladed 17 pitch Honda stainless. I started out with 19p tempest and played with the plugs without much luck. The best I got was 54 mph and it wouldn't hit my 6300 rpm limit. My 17p four blade takes me to my limit. Having said that my speed is around 50 ish and I'm alright with that. Another mod I made was moving my two trolling motor batteries up front. which helped alot. I'm running at 2.75 under pad. I traded a fast 70 mph two stroke for a 50 mph very reliable and economic 4 stroke (quiet and no smoke). I couldn't be happier. Just my experience.....take it for what it's worth.
    Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me which Honda 4 blade you went with? They offer a few different 4 blade props. I think they are all made by Powertech. How long does it take you to get on plane?

9. Member
    https://www.boatpropellerwarehouse.c...8134-zy3-a17hr

This is the one I bought. It is also good as I pull the family around on their boards and tubes. I haven't timed on plan but it is fairly quick (quicker than what you are experiencing). I added a stainless steel foil (BBC guy makes them) as well and am real happy with it. I can stay on plane down to around 17 mph. It was a lot of frustration finding the right combination but I'm fairly happy now. I'm sure I could tweak some more and get a little more speed out of it but I fun fish and 3/4 fuel, two big guys and equipt. I'm comfortable with 50ish.

10. Member
    rjd what rpm did you get with a tempest plus 19?
    97 Ranger r82 with 05 honda bf150, Helix 10 mega link with 1198c, Ultrex 80. Fish hard and keep hooking.

11. Member
    If I remember right it was aprox 300 rpm's less. Solid plugs. Hole shot was terrible.

12. Member
    If I remember right it was aprox 300 rpm's less. Solid plugs. Hole shot was terrible.
    So around 5900/6000 rpm? Did you try the tempest with your battery move up front?
    97 Ranger r82 with 05 honda bf150, Helix 10 mega link with 1198c, Ultrex 80. Fish hard and keep hooking.

13. Member
    Yes I did and also with a foil. Sluggish would best describe it. The 17p responded much better. I wanted the 19p to work and for the extra MPH's but it didn't meet my expectations. The big difference is the gearing in the Honda 150. It's like starting out in 2nd gear in a car. It'll work but........you decide whats important. It would be fine if it was only carrying me with minimal gas and gear. Maybe my Nitro 19' is heavier than most or your application. That should also be considered. Empty livewells too.

14. Member
    Yes I did and also with a foil. Sluggish would best describe it. The 17p responded much better. I wanted the 19p to work and for the extra MPH's but it didn't meet my expectations. The big difference is the gearing in the Honda 150. It's like starting out in 2nd gear in a car. It'll work but........you decide whats important. It would be fine if it was only carrying me with minimal gas and gear. Maybe my Nitro 19' is heavier than most or your application. That should also be considered. Empty livewells too.
    Thanks, That was a prop on my list to try but since you already done some testing. I can see me having the same result with the holeshot also.