2007 HPDI killing at idle

Having a problem with my hpdi killing at idle then not starting after it kills until I wait a while then I can get it to start. It’s usually right when I dump it in, it pops off just fine..but unless I get it into gear right away it will usually kill on me. If it doesn’t kill, it idles not good...chugs bad and motor shakes a decent amount. But when it’s in gear it’s fine and it runs strong otherwise. It’s like it’s not getting a steady flow of fuel, or maybe it’s getting too much fuel and flooding it out? Not sure if that’s possible tho. New spark plugs this year, and just had a high pressure fuel pump put in that didn’t solve the issue. Thoughts? Any help is appreciated!

2. Member
    Im guessing low pressure pumps are going bad. Remember, at idle the hpdi drops 2 cylinders. Once in gear they come back. So to me it seems they always kinda idle rough.

3. Member
    Sounds like low pressure fuel pumps. Hows the primer bulb?

4. Member
    The primer bulb doesn’t seem to be full a lot of times and I have to go back and pump it every once in a while

5. Member
    Sounds like we are having the same issue. Sounds exactly like the problems I've having.

6. Member
    I had this exact same issue yesterday, once it cranked would get on pad and run fine,,,,,until it didn’t �� popped a power head. First issue I’ve ever had with it, 08 HPDI 250
    Ranger Z520
    Yamaha HPDI 250

7. Member
    Curious Bandit. Did you use any decarb fuel treatment or process?

8. Member
    No there was no decarb in the fuel, decarb was done in Feb along with plug change
    Ranger Z520
    Yamaha HPDI 250

9. Member
    Either of you guys resolve the issue? The tech I’m taking it back to thinks now it could be as simple as a throttle adjustment or possibly a bad coil

10. Member
    I have the same issue with mine. Low rough idle. Primer bulb is new this year. Looses prime after about 5 min of idle. I ordered new lp pumps to see if that’s the issue. Will let you know.

11. Member
    Just got mine back from mechanic. He said the filter screens in the high pressure pump were almost totally clogged up. He was surprised it ran at all. Took pump apart and cleaned filters. He said it runs like new now. Running it tomorow so I hope he's right. May not be your issue but our symptoms sound the same.