1999 200 Opti - Reed Block Question

I've disassembled the reeds on my 200 Opti (ser# 0G886121) to replace. While doing this, I discovered I have two different size reed blocks. There are three sets of blocks that are about an 1/8" or so longer than the other three, but appear to have the same degree of radius. I did notice the shorter ones (I believe the original???) had more wear on the bottom of them like the reeds underneath them had been hitting them, while the longer ones appear to have almost no wear. In addition, these were not installed in any particular pattern. A set of the shorter ones were on the top reed, a longer set on the second, shorter on the third and fourth, and then longer ones on the fifth and sixth. I bought this boat from a friend, and knew the motor had a new power head installed a few years ago. I'm assuming this is when these other blocks were installed??? Is this anything I need to worry about, or just reassemble as I found it? Attached are some photos showing the difference. Thanks.
    Reed Block #4.jpgReed Block #2.jpgReed Block #3.jpgReed Block #1.jpg

Blocks are what those attach to. That would me and I would wait to here more about this from one of the Mercury Techs
    What kind of reeds do you intend to install
    Would recommend getting TDR from Don at European Marine
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Reed stops. I have no idea how having different shapes will affect the inflow, but I would want the same ones throughout.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Reed stops. I have no idea how having different shapes will affect the inflow, but I would want the same ones throughout.
    My thinking too, don't know which should be used, but I'd want them all the same. I'll echo lpugh's recommendation for TDR reeds and have them in my engine.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    I would doubt it matters. Most of the contact is in the first ½ of the stop (part closest to the end of the reeds that are locked in by the screws. And the faster you run it, the less of that flex you will see since the reeds have a hard time opening all the way at that frequency, with less air having time to run through 'em. Don will probably say more, but to me it really doesn't matter much as it is not going to interfere with air passing through the reeds.

There are some things that just make you go "huh?" IE my toyota tacoma 4.0 had one brand of plugs in the right cylinder head, a different brand in the left head. Right off the factory floor. Many others have commented on this. Apparently one head is made on one line, the other head elsewhere. And each had a different spark plug (same heat range, reach, etc) stocked I presume.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No problem- just two different versions of the reed STOPS (means you had some reeds replaced at some point).

Just keep similar stops on each reed block. The overall angle is the same, and there is no notable difference in performance/function.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor