Creature bait hooks

Never fished creature baits before so need some help with what hooks to use. I will be texas rigging them. I picked up some reaction innovations sweet beavers and some zoom baby brush hogs. What style hooks and what sizes are you guys using for these. Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    Owner riggin' hooks have always worked well for me. Match the hook size for your bait.

3. Member
    I use Trokar 4/0 an 5/0 for creature baits.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

4. Member
    I use 2. I'll use a 4/0 straight shank flippin hook. VMC or Trokar. But I flip a tube a lot too. The Trokar Tube hook works well for me as well. 4/0, again.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

I like the 3/0 Kvd Grip pin hook

I'm the odd duck that throws them on an EWG, I suppose. 4/0 Gamakatsu Superline EWG is what I'm using most often.

Two reasons I like the EWG. First is that fish that are hooked do not get off...not that losing fish on a straight shank is a huge concern, but the EWG is better in my opinion. Second, and most important to me, is that the EWG is just more weedless and allows baits to last longer. The straight shank point is so perpendicular to the bait that it will stick through under the slightest resistance such as when you lift the bait over a log, or pop it free of some vegetation. Then you're snagged or pulling a big clump of grass in, wasting that cast, spooking fish, and destroying your efficiency. You're also going through soft plastics much quicker, once again destroying your efficiency and costing yourself a bunch of money in baits as well.

The tradeoff I think you make would be in terms of hookup percentages, and I think that's why a lot of folks prefer the straight shank. For normal soft plastics, I just don't have those issues. My hookup percentage on an EWG is so close to 100% (knock on wood) it's just not worth it for me to fight with straight shanks, particularly since I think the extra efficiency allows me to get enough extra bites to overcome any difference in hookups. If I did have problems with hooking up, I'd be throwing a straight shank and dealing with the other problems I have with them.

Along those lines, due to the nature of Z-Man Elaztech baits (super stretchy, sort of "sticky"), I do use a straight shank with them as I've had issues with the bait balling up and missing fish with an EWG. The durability and other properties of Elaztech also serve to minimize the complaints I have with straight shank hooks otherwise as well. I've been a huge fan of the Gamakatsu G-Finesse heavy cover hooks in those applications. They're spendy, but insanely sharp, hold their points exceptionally well, and though they are made of a lighter gauge wire, seem to be just as strong as the heavier wire heavy cover options. Granted I'm not pulling 8+ lbers out of brush or big mats, but I've winched 4-5 lbers out of thick milfoil and coontail and haven't bent one yet. Love those things.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    As usual, can’t add much more than Drew! I throw a Baby Brush Hog and Brush hog a lot. 3/0-5/0 Gammy Superline EWGS for me.

When I’m T-Rigging one of those 3 hooks works for me 90% of the time.

When it comes to the Zman products...I’m at a loss! They’re so sticky I have issues a lot so they’re skimmed.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Member
    Great flippin bait is the Reaction Innovation Man Bear Pig.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

9. Member
    VMC Heavy Duty Ike EWG 5/0 for standard brush hog. I like the closed eye, work well for me..

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/VMC_...e-MVCHWGH.html

10. Member
    Thanks for all the help guys. Picked up a bunch of the gamakatsu superlines in 2/0, 3/0, and 4/0. Hopefully I can put them to good use on vacation this week.

I would at least try some of the swimbait style hooks with the curly bait screw gizmo...either with or without the belly weight. But it would depend on what kind of cover you're fishing.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.