Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I keep reading “case law” on here, but the truth is there is just as much backing the firing. Public servants are held to a higher standard. We all are well aware of what we can and can’t do. If they didn’t know that before hand they were in the wrong profession.

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Good for them...worth every penny! Do you know if that is just salary or was some extra jobs? I know a lot of guys work extra jobs here.
    List includes all detail work and salary that goes through the city

Some can also do security work that does not have to go through the city and will not be on the list

Like I said .. I still wouldn’t trade them to do that thankless job

3. Member
    Dumb cops saying dumb things, nothing new. Just glad to see the oinkers held accountable.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Dumb cops saying dumb things, nothing new. Just glad to see the oinkers held accountable.
    Maybe that post will get you fired from your job.

Classy!

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    Classy!
    I was going to ask what an oinker was....figured he/she was talking about a partner preference.
    Last edited by bshort; 07-18-2019 at 10:49 PM.

7. Member
    There’s a difference between free speech and inciting violence against groups of people which is what some of those posts did. I’m a little shocked some people here don’t see that. Also people here seem not to understand what free speech is. It’s not an end-all blanket protection. If I started spewing bigoted diatribe at my work I guaranteed I’d be fired.

Public servants should be held to a higher standard. That’s just common sense to me. They serve the people. That includes blacks, Muslims, and transgenders. You take that job you take that responsibility.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Interesting that those who are relied on to protect other's rights should be expected to give up their own...
    Lol! What rights are they expected to give up? Freedom of speech? They still have that right but there can and will be consequences for what you say esp from your employer. I know I would fire one of my guys on the spot if they pulled this kind of crap. Wouldn’t want someone like that working for me representing my company. Smh.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    Lol! What rights are they expected to give up? Freedom of speech? They still have that right but there can and will be consequences for what you say esp from your employer. I know I would fire one of my guys on the spot if they pulled this kind of crap. Wouldn’t want someone like that working for me representing my company. Smh.
    You are not the government. They were employed by the government. The first amendment protects you from censorship by the government. It's all in how you look at it.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

10. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Knocked your socks off, huh?
    Who controls John Gill?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    You are not the government. They were employed by the government. The first amendment protects you from censorship by the government. It's all in how you look at it.
    They weren’t censored by the government, they aren’t being prosecuted by the government, and the government didn’t take their rights away. The government didn’t remove their posts, that would be censorship. The government isn’t prosecuting them for their posts in an attempt to jail them. The government didn’t take away their rights to make whatever posts they want. The officers can still post whatever they want about whatever they want. The difference is they just won’t have the same employer anymore.

The first amendment does not protect you from the consequences of what you said, it just means you CAN say it without fear of going to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
    I would think that all the ones that posted something big or small would get the same discipline. That tells me there are different levels of racism posts so some racist remarks just get them time off, others get fired. Hmmmm.
    Probably has more to do with previous discipline records. The ones they are trying to fire most likely have precious disciplinary action where the others might not.

13. Banned
    We'll see how powerful the police union is... Dan

I think we forget the fact that ANYTHING you put on one of these machines can be seen by the whole world!

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trifish View Post
    They weren’t censored by the government, they aren’t being prosecuted by the government, and the government didn’t take their rights away. The government didn’t remove their posts, that would be censorship. The government isn’t prosecuting them for their posts in an attempt to jail them. The government didn’t take away their rights to make whatever posts they want. The officers can still post whatever they want about whatever they want. The difference is they just won’t have the same employer anymore.

The first amendment does not protect you from the consequences of what you said, it just means you CAN say it without fear of going to jail.

I'm not seeing where anyone got terminated though. The headline reads, "13 Pa. police officers to be fired over offensive Facebook posts," but then further down the article says that, "Ross told reporters that all but three of the 72 Philadelphia officers currently on leave will face some form of discipline. Four officers will be suspended for 30 days, while the rest will face disciplinary action ranging from reprimands to a five-day suspension." That doesn't sound like anyone is getting fired. I would like to see them all fired, if it is true that "the posts 'clearly advocated violence or death against any protected class such as ethnicity, national origin, sex, religion and race or any speech advocating or supporting crimes affecting the integrity, honesty or trustworthiness of the police department,'" and that "the posts included 'anti-Islamic posts such as ‘death to Islam,’' as well as 'references to African-Americans as thugs,' 'encouragement of police brutality,' and 'homophobic memes which in some cases suggest violence against transgender individuals.'"

People who would post such things in a public forum are not people who I want to in my community carrying guns with the authority to arrest or detain.

No different than someone in any other occupation losing their job for saying the wrong thing.

The only part of this that bothers me (well not the only part really)...

nonprofit group published the results of a two-year review of personal Facebook posts or comments from officers in Philadelphia and seven other departments.

ummm...I am not really a big fan of all these "watchdog" groups. I do not trust them. Not even a little.
    These officers should have been smart enough to not have public profiles...which, of the officers I know, I cannot think of a single one who has a public profile that would able to be viewed by some outside non-profit. Unless of course that non-profit has done something underhanded or friended an officer under false pretense in order to view his/her profile...which makes me a bit uncomfortable. Most of these watchdog type groups are filled full of activists - and I do not trust activists. I have never met an honest one.

With that said, there really is no choice but to fire these officers. It places into question their every action. It places the department into question as well. I would bet that there are several inmates talking to their lawyers right now about new trials. Whether or not the officers are actually racist or just REALLY angry and spouting off after long days of being treated like dirt (which so many officers are) is a determination I will leave to others.

Quote Originally Posted by delee36 View Post
    The only part of this that bothers me (well not the only part really)...

nonprofit group published the results of a two-year review of personal Facebook posts or comments from officers in Philadelphia and seven other departments.

ummm...I am not really a big fan of all these "watchdog" groups. I do not trust them. Not even a little.
    These officers should have been smart enough to not have public profiles...which, of the officers I know, I cannot think of a single one who has a public profile that would able to be viewed by some outside non-profit. Unless of course that non-profit has done something underhanded or friended an officer under false pretense in order to view his/her profile...which makes me a bit uncomfortable. Most of these watchdog type groups are filled full of activists - and I do not trust activists. I have never met an honest one.

With that said, there really is no choice but to fire these officers. It places into question their every action. It places the department into question as well. I would bet that there are several inmates talking to their lawyers right now about new trials. Whether or not the officers are actually racist or just REALLY angry and spouting off after long days of being treated like dirt (which so many officers are) is a determination I will leave to others.
    I've listened to interviews with the founder (or leader of the non-profit) and she said they went on open social media groups and then cross referenced the cops posting with either their own photos in uniform, listing the departments as they're employer, etc. I agree a lot is probably gallows humor and blowing off steam but one has to be careful posting anything these days. The cops I'm friends with also don't have public profiles a non-profit would be able to find and definitively link back to them professionally.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

https://www.plainviewproject.org/dat...6032520356-570

There's the link to the postings the project collected. Quite a few posts in favor of bypassing Miranda Rights and treating certain groups as less than human. If you have the power to take someone's freedom or life with permission from the government then you need to be held to a high standard and act accordingly at all times. Is it the 'thin blue line' protecting it's own by wanting to keep these people around? A few bad apples can ruin the bunch and yet some are saying to keep them around even when the bad apples have pointed themselves out for us.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

20. Banned
    So maybe we should look at cause and effect. You get a biased leo in a place he can act on his hate and the community assumes all leos are like this. Anger builds on both sides because nobody stands up anf corrects said behavior on both sides. You cannot continue to kick the shit out of civilians and think they should love you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast