Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

livescope transducer not found or unsupported transducer, solution maybe?

my buddy has a livescope setup hooked to a 1042xsv headunit. it has worked fine til here lately. it would pop up on start up unsupported transducer or transducer not found. if you unplugged transducer and plugged it back in with it powered up it would find it and work. we had it wired up with the headunit on one battery and the livescope setup on another battery. he has two batteries for electronics that he use to use for backup batteries for trolling motor.so after few phone calls to garmin and beating our head against the wall and doing everything they said to do with no fix insight. today we called garmin talked to a guy named gary. we went back and forth on some things. i disagreed with him on some things but anyways. he asked if we had both units hooked on same battery and if we had the grounding lugs on the cases of the headunit and gls10 grounded to the boat. we had the box grounded to the neg post of the battery it was hooked to, headunit not grounded and on separate batteries. he wanted us to hook both units to same battery and ground cases to the boat. but per instructions it says to ground cases to neg post of battery. if it was cranking battery it probably would have worked but in our case no. so we rewired it so the units were on same battery and grounded to the boat. we setup a call back at a later time today and took it out on water. we did 8 to 10 power cycles of head unit and gls10 and never had a transducer not found issue. so in conclusion the only thing i can figure is the grounding and/or voltage difference between the 2 batteries was causing the issue. i thought i would pass along this info hopefully it might help some one having same issues

Steve

2. Member
    Are your grounds for your power supply circuits for both units going directly to the negative battery terminal? Or to the boat? Wondering if maybe you were on different ground planes before making changes.

3. Member
    update. next day it was doing it again. back to square one. called garmin they said send it in they sending new setup. i figure its a connection issue in the box or transducer cable.

4. Member
    Mine was a positional cable wire. Garmin next day aired me one and I was off to prefish a tourney. Frustrating at best, but great customer service. To make sure all wires won’t have the same problem, don’t use 1 zip tie on anything. I used tape and electrical wire sleeves. Just FYI.

After several trips with no problems mine only came on this weekend after several reboots.
    18 Ranger 521L 50th Anniversary Ed /Evinrude G2 250HO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamMule View Post
    Are your grounds for your power supply circuits for both units going directly to the negative battery terminal? Or to the boat? Wondering if maybe you were on different ground planes before making changes.
    the negative wires went directly to the battery. the ground lug on the case of the 1042 and gls10 grounds to the boat for a water ground per garys request. originally the 1042 and the gls10 was on separate batteries.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadof4 View Post
    Mine was a positional cable wire. Garmin next day aired me one and I was off to prefish a tourney. Frustrating at best, but great customer service. To make sure all wires won’t have the same problem, don’t use 1 zip tie on anything. I used tape and electrical wire sleeves. Just FYI.
    positional cable wire? the transducer and ethernet cables are ran in split loom and secured with tape and plastic wire strap from front to under console where the gls10 is located. power wire is same way just from the back of boat to console. so a loose floopy wires wasnt gonna happen.

8. Member
    when we was talking to gary. he claimed they never heard of this problem. i told him to come on over to bass boat central and read. so when we talked to kim she said she had 3 cases just like ours and said to send it back.

Steve

9. Member
    I had that problem this weekend. Prior to going I did what Lwinchester said. Cleaned all pins and connectors and used dielectric grease on all connections. In the garage before I went fishing The unit worked like a charm. But, when I got on the water had to reboot a couple of times with nothing working. So, I disconnected the large connector on the GLS10 and spread the greas out again and that seamed to work that time. Had to do this several times. It is like one of the female connectors in that connector is not a good connection?? Don't know yet but I think I am getting closer.

Talked to support today, explained that it was taking multiple restarts to get the LVS 10 to connect and they are sending a new box. Very good CS.

BL
    18 Ranger 521L 50th Anniversary Ed /Evinrude G2 250HO

11. Member
    Positional in terms of a wire is likely cracked or broken and dependent on movement makes contact or has no contact. Installation manual specifically states no zip ties due to undue/ uneven pressure on one place within the wires running. They have no give in a moving boat under normal operation. Using a quality take acts as a shock absorber and isn’t so isolated to a small location against the wire casing. I had a slightly cracked wire due to a zip tie but Garmin still stepped up and sent me new gear to get back in the game.

12. Member
    Is this only a LVS32 issue?

13. Member
    Thanks or this post. I just spent $3,200 on this new setup Ultra 106SV and right of the box, it is doing exactly what you described. I did a google search for "Livescope unsupported transducer" and your post pop up. Garmin is my next phone call.

14. Member
    Last time i went out couldnt get my unit to work at all. Its like it tries to connect and then drops the connection immediately. Tried cleaning all the connections good but no luck. Have an email into garmin but havent heard back yet.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamMule View Post
    Is this only a LVS32 issue?
    Seems to be but it's a tough one to diagnose. I was plagued with it for a while. And it is a real pain. Now I can't remember how long it's been since I had this problem, at least several months. For me, giving both the pins and cable contacts a thorough cleaning (deoxit) and applying dielectric grease resolved it. I fish 4-5 times a week so it gets a pretty thorough testing. Also I'm using GPSMAP units. I'm not saying that will work for everyone, but it has worked very well for me and if the problem should resurface that would be the first thing I did. I'm using a PS22, PS30 and LVS32 every trip.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

16. Member
    Well think I have my issue resolved seems to be a dirty ground. Not so hard to troubleshoot when its 100% not working like it is when intermittent.

17. Member
    Out with a buddy who also has Livescope. After disconnected xdcr issues started we watched for codes and could not get the gls 10 to even turn on. Same thing as mine was doing. His connections were solid. Same as mine plus the thread locker has my power connection tight. I am giving it one more trip out next weekend to see if it acts up and will make a video for Garmin. My ps22 and 93svs all work flawlessly.

With regards to ground, how do you know if you don’t have a good ground?
    Using same PM31 AGM battery with power connected to posts.

18. Member
    Well id run a power cable right to the battery. That about as good as you can get for ground.

did you update the software to the latest? There was a supposed software fix for this back in august.

19. Member
    I had this happen this weekend I reset it to factory settings and it picked up the transducer.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    Well id run a power cable right to the battery. That about as good as you can get for ground.

did you update the software to the latest? There was a supposed software fix for this back in august.
    Yes I ran a #8awg wire direct bolted to LVS32 from battery. New software helped initially but seems like it comes and goes.
    Will be out this weekend and will see how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast