Buddy’s new helix 7

Buddy just bought a brand new triton from a dealer 4 hours away, took the boat for its break in voyage and have an issue with the graph. I’m trying to help him troubleshoot before he has to drive 8 hours to get it fixed. So the unit is in dash and is gps,di,si . The only thing working is the gps stuff, no depth reading and no graph movement at all just white screen for all the 2d and then a frozen screen shot of the si. It almost seems like it is frozen in simulation mode. So I confirmed it is reading the transducer and I did a restore to factory settings and nothing. I am assuming this was a factory triton install. Any help or ideas of what might be the culprit? Base map, speed and route tracking all work fine, again brand new unit. Thoughts?

A couple of things to check.

IF the boat is fiberglass, there should be a shoot-thru transducer in the bilge, a SI transducer on the transom and a Y cable connected to the display. The two transducers connect to the Y cable. Check that those connections are made.

With the unit operating, quickly push the Power button and turn Sonar ON.

Without a transducer connected and/or Sonar turned OFF, the unit becomes a Chart Plotter.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks,
    It is a brand new triton 179 trx, he def has the transducer on the transom as there is no jackplate on the boat and I believe it is the compact si or whatever comes with that unit. I got up under the console and both black wires were connected and tight on the back of the unit. i will have him check for the puck in the bilge, would it be possible that the boat did not come with the puck? Does the transducer that comes with the 7 have the ability when mounted on the transom to give you on plane readings like a shoot through would? I have a core 999 with the puck and the ducer on my jackplate so my set up is a little different. I will also have him do the power thing. If everything is connected properly does this sound like a unit or transducer issue in your opinioin?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapela View Post
    Thanks,
    It is a brand new triton 179 trx, he def has the transducer on the transom as there is no jackplate on the boat and I believe it is the compact si or whatever comes with that unit. I got up under the console and both black wires were connected and tight on the back of the unit. i will have him check for the puck in the bilge, would it be possible that the boat did not come with the puck? Does the transducer that comes with the 7 have the ability when mounted on the transom to give you on plane readings like a shoot through would? I have a core 999 with the puck and the ducer on my jackplate so my set up is a little different. I will also have him do the power thing. If everything is connected properly does this sound like a unit or transducer issue in your opinioin?
    Yes the SI transducer does 2D sonar and will do depth/2D if installed so it can.
    It would be odd to loose both SI and 2D due to a transducer failure. The unit does not have Down Imaging, it has Simulated DI views just like your 999ci HD SI Combo.

Don't know if a Triton comes pre-rigged with a Humminbird shoot-thru transducer.

Does he know if the dealer has any knowledge about installing Humminbird Imaging equipment?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    He hasn’t called yet as we were trying to troubleshoot before the last resort of just taking it back. Based on what you said above it has me concerned it’s the unit. Is there like a hard reboot process?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapela View Post
    He hasn’t called yet as we were trying to troubleshoot before the last resort of just taking it back. Based on what you said above it has me concerned it’s the unit. Is there like a hard reboot process?
    No, just the same Restore Defaults that you have.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    I bought a brand new one last month. Installed On first power up. NADA. Kept saying shutting down. But never would. I had to send it back to HB. When returned repair note said replaced the board. I know my problem is different from yours but only saying even brand new some are lemons like mine was. Does it says transducer is connected in menu?
    Allison XB 2002, 2.5 280

8. Member
    yes it say's the transducer is connected.