Gear Shifter 250 SS

I have always found it SOMEWHAT difficult to put my engine into and out of gear. I of course know to squeeze under the shifter then push forward or backward. I do NOT have the shifter that has the screwdriver adjustment in front of it. It's always been like this. By that I mean it was like this before the engine was replaced and still is with the new one. I always manage but it shouldn't be as rough as it is. I've been dealing with bigger issues and thought maybe this would go away when new engine was installed. I do have a Hotfoot. Over a year ago my down trim quit working on the shifter. When that old dealership fixed it, they said some graph wires were rigged wrong around the shifter. The trim got fixed but the roughness in shifting was still there as it is now.
    Are there any adjustments I can make anywhere?
    It takes a tad of "umph" to get it out of gear from idle and I wish I didn't have to think about it so much. I know it's not the way it should be.

2. Member
    My dealer replaced my shift cable due to that issue. I want to say he used a different one instead of the one that came with it, but it changed it completely.

3. Member
    Perhaps the previous dealer said some cables were interfering with the mechanical movement of the shift arm inside the boat, but to the best of my recollection that area should be somewhat sealed. Idle speed can make quite a difference, you want the motor not the hotfoot to control idle speed. My Suzy is difficult to move unless the motor speed is at idle, if the prop is loaded it's very hard.
    You should not have to squeeze the handle to move it from gear to neutral IMHO.
    I hit something and am having lower unit problems right now, and working inside my motor cowling I do see what seems to be interactions between throttle lever position and the shifter mechanism. You should ask the dealer.

My new Suzuki was quite clunky at first as well. My dealer adjusted it a bit an seems to have smoothed out

5. Member
    I bought a new boat/motor/trailer and it has this issue and the main mechanic say's it needs to wear in some. Don't seem right with me either.

6. Member
    Mine is definitely not a wear in issue and I doubt yours is either.

7. Member
    It's not. It's something in the cable I'd bet. I'd make whoever rigged it fix it.

8. Member
    I'll get it wet a time or two and then find a local dealer to check it out if its still tricky. I drove 19 hrs to pick up my boat one way.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by procraftokie View Post
    It's not. It's something in the cable I'd bet. I'd make whoever rigged it fix it.
    I don't know who originally rigged it so that option is out.

10. Member
    It's definitely a cable or something. I wish I knew what cable my dealer used, but I had that same issue and it was fixed with a cable change.