Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Had ours for about 20 years, no issues with ours. First time we light the pilot every year we open the windows for the smell that usually comes. We heat our 1700 square foot home all the time!!
    I do have two CO detectors just in case!!!

2. Member
    If it is going on an exterior wall I would go wall vented. Have had ventless, they work, but ours always smelled like burnt propane. On a modern airtight house the safety ox sensor may shut it down, we had to crack a window.

3. Member
    Had for years. vacuum the logs off before winter. Some smell of propane but not bad.
    CO detector always.
    I never use the thermostat on them here but the ones at the mountain house are set to 54 in winter just to knock the chill off when no one is there. Never had a problem.
    Of course I never enjoy the $3+ per gallon when the tank is filled but I guess I'll get over it.

4. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanierspook View Post
    If it is going on an exterior wall I would go wall vented. Have had vent less, they work, but ours always smelled like burnt propane. On a modern airtight house the safety ox sensor may shut it down, we had to crack a window.
    You properly are having the ODS (Oxygen Depletion Sensor) sensor kick it off. The air we breath has around 20% pure oxygen and when the logs are burning or for that matter any type flame appliance it needs oxygen to mix with gas to burn properly. The ODS sensor will kick off when the room gets around 18% per oxygen.
    An example of how this works is; when we go outside when it is hot, muggy and we say that it is so how out here it is hard to breath. You room got so hot inside it was hard for the appliance to get fresh air.

5. Member
    i think it depends on the person, but for me, "ventless" is still very smelly and can cause headaches. We have a ventless unit but luckily have it in a real fireplace. When running, we have to crack the fireplace draft or it is unbearable to me. In your case, true ventless for me would be a no-go. I would rather have a lightshow with no gas than the so called "ventless". Now my dad runs ventless and has no problems with it but it is definitely not for me. We use it but couldn't without venting the draft which by the way basically defeats any heating benefit. My wife is in the same boat as me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12