The SKEETER divide..... lesson twice learned

I will start by saying... "I AM A HUGE SKEETER FAN!" I have purchased two new FX boats. An FX 20 and an FX21... I loved both of them, but no longer own either of them.
    Why? When I committed to buying a new Skeeter, I wanted what the FX had to offer. What is the great divide? When I went to trade, I found that the Flagship FX boat is not worth much to the dealer when they have new ZX boats there on their lots. The dealers ALL say, "I can't put much into your FX when I can sell a brand new ZX for around the same price." In reality, they are correct! I have three friends that purchased new ZX boats that were offered much better deals based upon their purchase price and what was offered on trade. 2. You CAN'T sell a 2-3 yr. old FX boat on your own... at least in KY:) Why? The ZX KILLS the re-sale.

Why am I posting this? I, like everyone else, am extremely excited about the NEW FXR. It definitely is worthy of all the hype and praise because it is SUPER SHARP!. IMO opinion... who should buy this boat? 1. ALL of the BBC members that pay cash and money is no object! 2. A person that wants this awesome boat and plans on keeping it for a lifetime or at least... a very long time. IMO who should NOT buy this boat? A man that has to pay top dollar and then in 2-3 yrs. wants to trade for another FXR. Why? THE TRUSTY ZX is sitting there sucking the value out of your gently used FXR. I can post this without reservation! I purchased $135,000 worth of FX Boats and I know first hand how bad the remorse is when you go to trade. The sad part? I am talking about trading to another SKEETER!! Will I buy another Skeeter? Maybe. Which one? If I am going to trade often, it will definitely be a ZX 250. If I buy a boat to keep for good, I will go all in on the FXR. **Unless SKEETER realizes that there are folks like me that love their FX line, but will no longer fall into the great buyer's remorse divide due to wanting to keep a fresh new boat with warranty. The FX/ZX divide is a deal breaker for me. One man's view. Thx. ***FXR is one bad dude regardless! (And YES, I do understand that ALL boats depreciate! My point is Skeeter hurts is flagship boat with the ZX pricing.)
    Last edited by Artdograt; 07-18-2019 at 11:26 AM.

About 2 weeks ago when I bought a new ZX250 I traded in a 2015 FX20. I was given exactly $2000 less than I had paid for it about 2 1/2yrs prior. That boat sold within 3 days of them putting it in their showroom as well. Around here Skeeter no matter FX or ZX has a great resale value if its been taken care of. I probably could have held out and sold my FX on my own for an extra $2000-2500 but reality is I wanted fast and easy and did not want to fool with tire kickers etc. Plus the tax savings balanced that out. You might need to look past your own area for a better idea on how the FX boats retain value. Personally from our high volume dealer I see plenty of both models being sold.

3. Member
    I definitely agree that your location helps out a ton. I wasn't as fortunate... $2000 from what you gave???? Try being offered $15,000 less after 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Artdograt View Post
    I definitely agree that your location helps out a ton. I wasn't as fortunate... $2000 from what you gave???? Try being offered $15,000 less after 2 years.
    Yep only $2000 less than I paid for it.

5. Member
    That's impressive to get $2k less than you paid 2 1/2 years prior. My question Mark is, Do you buy a lot of boats from the same dealer? Have you been dealing with the same dealer for a long time? I could see having a great relationship
    with a local dealer and giving them repeat business, could give people better deals.. I know in the car/truck industry, repeat business goes along ways. I'm jealous of you guys who trade in every couple of years. Wish I could do that, but I hate debt and I sure can't pay cash for these toys. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    That's impressive to get $2k less than you paid 2 1/2 years prior. My question Mark is, Do you buy a lot of boats from the same dealer? Have you been dealing with the same dealer for a long time? I could see having a great relationship
    with a local dealer and giving them repeat business, could give people better deals.. I know in the car/truck industry, repeat business goes along ways. I'm jealous of you guys who trade in every couple of years. Wish I could do that, but I hate debt and I sure can't pay cash for these toys. LOL!

Have bought a couple of used boats from them over the year and this was the first brand new one I have ever bought. I bought the FX from an individual. I was surprised at what they offered as I truly was expecting they would offer less. Made it a little less painful. I was luckily in a position to be able to not carry any debt with the new one. Things fell into place in that regard and I am thankful it did.

7. Member
    Just buy the 2 year old gently used boats and let someone else take the hit

8. Member
    I helped the dealer sell two or three new boats. I also consider myself a very good ambassador for their product in the tournament series that I fish and for the people that I associate with in the industry. I feel that I am a good example of a top-notch repeat customer that they would want to trade with repeatedly. So taking all of that into consideration that is why I said the ZX is killing the ability to trade an FX for anything. Unless, I could be like Mark and find a great deal !!! I have always said that everyone gets a deal... but some are fortunate enough to get a great deal instead of just being dealt with ��

9. Member
    I can see where ZX sales can hurt the used FX market. Most of the feature differences between the boats are the electronic and accessories packages.
    There may not be a really compelling reason to buy a used FX over a new ZX with upgrades. The money I saved on a new ZX went to getting the electronics I WANTED along with a Talon and lithium batteries. The only things I would want that the FX has are the center cooler lid, the floor compartment, and the trolling motor bezel with drink/tool holder. I bought the new bezel and will buy the cooler lid so I'm left without the floor compartment. Otherwise, I have a super tournament boat with a lot of upgrades.

Now with the FXR there will be big changes that should hold value for owners. I just wish they had the ZX-style layout as an option, it's really functional for me and my partner.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Member
    In my opinion it all depends on what you add to the ZX. If you upgrade electronics, Ultrex and add 2 PP blades then your getting close to FX price.

Quote Originally Posted by waknbass View Post
    In my opinion it all depends on what you add to the ZX. If you upgrade electronics, Ultrex and add 2 PP blades then your getting close to FX price.
    I just did that very thing and was still $10,000 away from the FX in price.

12. Member
    Crazy, I did this last year and it was a $4500 difference after I added 2 blades, ultrex and electronics

Quote Originally Posted by waknbass View Post
    Crazy, I did this last year and it was a $4500 difference after I added 2 blades, ultrex and electronics
    Some dealers charge for Ultrex upgrade and other stuff added to national package price. Ours does not. My money went pretty far. I dont think myveealer even has a boat Skeeter or Phoenix in showroom or on lot without an Ultrex. They have a big inventory too.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Yep only $2000 less than I paid for it.
    Wasn’t that 20 fx a couple year old boat when you bought it? If so it’s not really that same comparison to OP. Yours would have been a $15k hit too. I bought a 2016 Fx20 last year and saved well over 15k versus when it was new.

Quote Originally Posted by THOEFT View Post
    Wasn’t that 20 fx a couple year old boat when you bought it? If so it’s not really that same comparison to OP. Yours would have been a $15k hit too. I bought a 2016 Fx20 last year and saved well over 15k versus when it was new.

It held its value was my point.

16. Member
    And I agree with you. I don’t think it that bad to be offered 15k less than paid on a 2 year old boat bought new on a trade in. First year especially is huge deprecation.