1998 Johnson 225 ho fuel pump

I’m pre mixing and the fuel pump I have now is original and capped off. So does anybody have a part number for just a straight fuel pump without the vro. Thanks

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

3. Member
    Awesome thank you. Has anybody used this pump for there application?

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'm a mechanic and use these all the time when the customer doesn't want the VRO any longer and doesn't want to spend the coin on the Evinrude non oiling fuel pump. They work just fine.

5. Member
    Awesome thank you

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post

Champ, I just want to be certain, ONE of the # 06-200 units be enough for the volume of a 200 horse Looper or does it require 2? I've heard of similar pumps but those required 2.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    They are mounted back to back on the bracket so only one pulse line is needed. There are indeed two pumps on that bracket.

8. Member
    Champ what’s your recommendation on a new timer base for 98 Johnson 225. I unplugged the base and hooked a meter on the white wire and checked each prong and highest Ac reading was 138 and lowest was 38. A good timer base is 200. Checked resistance and 223 ohms. Checked each wire to ground no issue. My problem is still at low idle it dies getting on plane and loading on trailer. Wot no issue. Also shouldn’t the jets be all the way seated and left alone? A mechanic backed them out to idle the engine higher to overcome the low end issue thinking it’s fuel related. My pistons are .0030 due to rebuild so shouldn’t the jets be sized for slightly bigger pistons or is that not really a big deal? Thanks for the help

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You have adjustable idle jets on your motor your mid range and high speed orifices are fixed. Initial setting for them is 5 turn out after a soft stop, don't force them once they seat. OEM is the way to go on the timer base but curious why you suspect that? If you have spark on all 6 cylinders the timer base is doing its job.

10. Member
    I suspect it’s the base do to a low Ac output so weak firing. Could be the center magnet as well. But the base also looks chipped all the way around the bottom edge. It’s the original from 98.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    They do look that way, I'd suspect the stator that's what creates the power.

12. Member
    Oh ok I wasn’t sure on the chip look. And the stator is brand new. But what’s crazy is the the old stator had a burnt bobbin so replaced it and the only difference is top end rpm. Before I couldn’t get it above 5200 rpm no matter how high I trimmed it and now it will go over 6000. But the low end never changed it’s all the same. That’s why I started this thread asking about the fuel pump maybe thinking it’s weak when throttle is applied for mid range acceleration.

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'd perform a sync n link before investing in any parts. You may also want to check your throttle roller and make sure the clear sleeve is still intact and not the black hard plastic roller.

14. Member
    That’s been done as well. Roller is free moving. But I will look into it again. I got a buddy letting me borrow his timing gun so just as is I will know if the idle timing is + or - 1 degree from factory setting.