Thread: I can see why

I can see why

Some of Y’all think W.M. And Sam’s Club is the cat’s Azz. I’m in Mn. Fishing and visiting a granddaughter. I brought some nice Iowa steaks to grill out. Her and I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few things.
    Prices:

Hidden Ranch dressing
    @home $2.79. Here $5.49

Jimmy Deans sausage
    Home $2.99. Here $6.09

Texas Toast Cheese ( in the freezer case)
    Home $2.99. Here $4.49

Asparagus
    Home $1.88. Here $4.99

Eggs
    Home $.88. Here $1.49

Hard to believe the difference in prices. She will drive over to St. Cloud ( 35 miles) and stock up on non perishables)

2. Member
    Transportation costs usually account for most of the difference. Local taxes add in, too. Does she live in a small town or rural area?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffth View Post
    Transportation costs usually account for most of the difference. Local taxes add in, too. Does she live in a small town or rural area?
    Small town, big enough to have a Mcdonalds. It is a nice modern Supermarket, privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Small town, big enough to have a Mcdonalds. It is a nice modern Supermarket, privately owned.
    No competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I'm sure some here will slam her for going to St. Cloud and not supporting the local "mom n pop" store by paying those outrageous prices.
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.

6. Member
    Crazy, that is just crazy !

I think a lot of this could be related to where the product is sourced. I know when I shop for groceries at the farm in S. Illinois, the prices on most things are about half what I normally spend in St. Louis. Down there I can buy chicken quarters for .88 per pound and at my house, it's more like 1.99 per pound. Same for most other fresh produce however canned goods and other prepared meals usually cost about the same.

Interesting.....I shop at a small store by my property in NY, and get some great deals. Note there is nothing in the county really, but farms. We get porter house 6.99 lbs. And of high quality, better than home. Most the other groceries are competitive with Home. We shop there, to help the local economy and the priced are good. So no need to haul stuff up.

9. Member
    I can go to WM or Target and get the big cans of Hunts tomato sauce for $1.60 - $1.80, exact same can in Kroger or Ingles near me is over a dollar higher. These are everyday prices. Many other examples of this, canned veggies, etc... Makes it hard to shop at the normal grocery stores when I can save 25 - 30 percent before coupons.

hard to beat WalMArt and Sams club buying power - I however do not go to either. Both our local WalMarts and the Sams Club always look like a bomb went off inside.

Quote Originally Posted by AlumRanger View Post
    I'm sure some here will slam her for going to St. Cloud and not supporting the local "mom n pop" store by paying those outrageous prices.
    Im sure.

She is 22 Husband 23, married 9 months
    10-12 year old house, just starting out. They have 100% more than my wife and I had at that age. Even at my age I wouldn’t want to pay those prices.

She still has to shop at that supermarket for everyday things, bread, milk, etc.

Hope the rain stops so I can get on the water soon.

Quote Originally Posted by delee36 View Post
    hard to beat WalMArt and Sams club buying power - I however do not go to either. Both our local WalMarts and the Sams Club always look like a bomb went off inside.

That isnt the case in Omaha or Council Bluffs, Fareway, Super Saver even Hy Vee can beats WM or Sam’s prices. I have an app on my phone — Flipp, anyone running an ad shows up, or you can install a store. W.M’s ad prices and everyday prices are not better than some of the stores around here. The Omaha area ( stores) is the market area that many companies use when introducing new grocery items. Very competitive grocery area. guys that have came from other parts of the country and served at SAC, many of them stay in the Omaha/Bellevue/ C.B. Area because of the economy and prices

13. Banned
    Re: Sam's Club Fishing shirts...

They have long sleeved (non hood) moisture wicking fishing shirts for $11.88 under the "Reel Life" header. 5 or 6 different colors. The hooded fishing shirts were $34.99

Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    I can go to WM or Target and get the big cans of Hunts tomato sauce for $1.60 - $1.80, exact same can in Kroger or Ingles near me is over a dollar higher. These are everyday prices. Many other examples of this, canned veggies, etc... Makes it hard to shop at the normal grocery stores when I can save 25 - 30 percent before coupons.
    Yup, been a no brainer for us for 20 years.

15. Banned
    I have a local Piggly-Wiggly thats as competitive on grocery prices as the Wal-marts super centers that are 15-25 miles away.