Stick Marsh question

Good morning ya'll! I guess I am new to this board but have been fishing for almost 50 years. I fished the SM a LOT between 2000 and 2010, then, life and career changes took me away from fishing for a few years. It used to be an awesome place for me, I can remember several 50+ fish days. What has happened to it??? I know it hadn't recovered completely from the hurricanes of '04 and '05 the last time I was there, but you could still find fish. I was thinking of planning a trip down the winter, but trying to find a fishing report, I have found none. And, then I see on a thread here that the algae bloom is really bad this summer. Such a shame. Hope ya'll have a great day!!

2. Member
    Welcome. I am no Stick Marsh expert. But most of the lakes in Floriduh have been NUKED by spraying.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

3. Member
    It wasn't the hurricanes, it was and still is the FWC and their relentless nuking of anything green.

4. Member
    Thanks guys, It's such a shame. I would make the 10hr drive at least once a month during the winter when it was too nasty to fish up here in North Alabama. And, met a lot of good people. Maybe ya'll can get new leadership in FWC and turn it around to be like it once was. Has Garcia suffered the same fate?
    Last edited by Mark1959; 07-18-2019 at 10:23 AM.

5. Member
    Give me a message . I still fish it and did a few weeks ago. If my schedule permits I can meet up with you.

I was on Garcia Monday. Plenty of grass and the water is pretty low. Fishing was decent. My son and I fished from daylight till about 10:30am and had around 23lbs for our best five. Saturday afternoon wasn’t as productive but still managed a few. I will say that you definitely don’t want to be out there when the sun sets. The mosquitos will absolutely carry you away if you don’t die from inhaling them every time you take a breath! LOL

7. Member
    That's good to hear about Garcia. I never did as well there as SM, but, I never spent the time to learn it like SM either. It was just a good place to go when the wind was up. I would just typically fish the edges of intersections and do ok.