Adding a 4th battery - Ranger Z20

Apologies if this has been discussed but I have a complete lack of search skills.

About to add an Ultrex to my 2007 Z20. Right now there are only 2 trolling motor batteries and I’d like to add a 3rd to go 36v. I do have Power Pole pumps mounted in front of the charger that I’m assuming will have to be moved. Does anyone have any advice from experience adding a new battery or pictures they could post? Current plan is to use the 3 bank charger on board now for the TM batteries and then use an external charger for the cranking battery. Am I missing anything?

2. Member
    I have an 07 z20 also. I have 4 Batteries in it, and power pole pumps mounted in the set back just as your describing. I also have a 3 bank charger for my trolling batteries and use an external charger for my cranking Battery. Mine have been this way for a few years and no problems at all.

3. mikesxpress
    Z21
    I removed my 4 bank charger years ago and have it wall mounted next to the boat with a tranport box for use on trips. I don't need to haul around that heavy charger while I'm fishing.

The PP pumps and Bob's JP pump are in the recess. I also removed the oil tank when I installed the new V8 Merc last July.

Last edited by mikesxpress; 07-18-2019 at 06:18 AM.

4. Member
    Mike, you really take pride in a nice clean install, maintenance. Looks great, and great advice

5. Member
    Mike- that looks great! Did you build a platform for the extra battery to sit on?

6. mikesxpress
    I will not work on anything that is dirty. Takes twice as long if its nasty and your never going to get it right. And my ME OCD will not let me just crap toss stuff in that service well. It's all secured and labeled. Which is nothing like how it came from the factory. I took every bit of jumbled up wire mess out of that boat bow to stern and it sat for 3 weeks till it got wired correctly. I had a pile 2' high and 3' wide of what I removed. Only thing in the service well when I started back was the engine start cables. Junking all the analog gauges and installing a SmartCraft level 1 monitor and all SmartCraft gauges cut the wire harness diameter running back to less than 1/3.

My Ranger came with the support shelf the center battery is sitting on.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 07-18-2019 at 12:13 PM.