fish stabilizing fin weight clips

do these weights that clip on the rear fin of a fish to stabilize it while the bladder normalizes work? appreciate the thoughts

Yes, but the ones that are commercially available aren't heavy enough without using 2 per fish (on their pectoral fins like water wings) and the clips aren't wide enough to stay on. I had a guy who pours weights for catfish and sturgeon anglers pour me some 2 oz teardrop style weights with the old style brass swivels in them, then I attached heavy duty electrical alligator clips to them. Got sort of lucky that the screw on the connectors would go right through the "eye" on the swivel, and I crimped the collar around the rest of the swivel for extra insurance I believe I found the clips on eBay from a seller in China and they came with black / red insulating rubber cases that I just took off. The same style alligator clips are available elsewhere, but are pricey for this use. You really need a type that are wide instead of just long like normal alligator clips as the long ones come off way too easily due to the way fish's fins are made.

Here's what they look like:

Found the connectors, they were on eBay...$8.22 for 10: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-20A-A...53.m2749.l2649

I am able to attach one to the anal fin of deep caught fish and it keeps them upright...in fact I used it them this past weekend on a couple fish, the biggest being 3.75, caught out of 18-20 feet with a lot of success. Unless they come out of verydeep water or it's near the end of the tourney day and they're not clipped for long, this is usually enough for them to stabilize themselves to swim off at release time. Still not a bad idea to get a fizzing needle and learn how to use it, but this is definitely better than nothing.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Yes, I use them, really like them. Agree with what DrewFlu mentiones. I caught a 6.5 lb on KY Lake and had to tie a 1.5 oz flipping weight on a dropshot hook to keel her. Or you can just use multiples.

Otherwise I would say a single standard ones work up to a 3-4 lb bass. So I guess I don't have that problem of using multiples too often though..

I'm definitely not catching them that big often. In fact, I'm sure I've never had a 6+ in my livewell.

I have had issues with the lighter ones working even on moderately sized fish in the 2 lb range. No problems with fish in any size with these 2 oz ones. Could be something with my livewells that makes my experience different?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I'm definitely not catching them that big often. In fact, I'm sure I've never had a 6+ in my livewell.

I have had issues with the lighter ones working even on moderately sized fish in the 2 lb range. No problems with fish in any size with these 2 oz ones. Could be something with my livewells that makes my experience different?
    More of the depth you're catching them at too. I will say I've had some deep 2lb KYs that are pretty full of air and require a second. Not a huge fan of fizzing so I use these, but everyone is different..

6. Banned
    I just put my plug knocker on the cull tag clip if needed. Its a 2oz weight with a snap lock on it.