System Fault STBD 521-20. ??

2019 Merc 250 pro xs v8.
    2B596875 is serial
    model is 250LPXSTM
    76 hours
    Basscat Lynx
    24 Fury 4

smartcraft tack beeps and said “system Fault 521-20”

was just scanning an area at 5-600 rpm when it went off. I shut it down for a few min. Started back up and it seems ok.

can you tell me what the code means? I think it got hot. When I turned on temp was like 197 and came down when I started idling around. Drove 15 min and no more warnings. Maybe trash or something plugged intakes......where can I find out what the system Fault 521-10 means?

thanks
    Last edited by TonkaCat; 07-18-2019 at 04:27 AM.

2. Member
    According to this link, I would be lead to believe it is an overheat alarm. Start at page 90.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvrfcpf9qo...anual.pdf?dl=0
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Serial # 2B642047
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... Overheating.

Unless you are certain of the cause, you may want to get this checked carefully. One look at the exhaust section of this engine and you should be able to understand why you do NOT want to be overheating the engine (there are a number of hoses, plenty of wiring and some plastic components in that area of the engine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Did you find the cause of this alarm? I just had the same fault happen to me yesterday. I check the vessel view and temp was high(190). I shut it down till it cooled back down to 130 and tried to start it again. Temp then continued to rise. I turned it off and got towed back the the ramp.

water was still coming out of tell tale while it was alarming and I check 2 strainers and they were clear. I have suspect a pump problem and have heard of the gaskets being installed wrong. I just bought the boat used in February from a dealer and they said the pump was changed along with the oil.

5. Member
    Mine was a bad impeller/water pump. Replaced and never happened again

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramos27 View Post
    Did you find the cause of this alarm? I just had the same fault happen to me yesterday. I check the vessel view and temp was high(190). I shut it down till it cooled back down to 130 and tried to start it again. Temp then continued to rise. I turned it off and got towed back the the ramp.

water was still coming out of tell tale while it was alarming and I check 2 strainers and they were clear. I have suspect a pump problem and have heard of the gaskets being installed wrong. I just bought the boat used in February from a dealer and they said the pump was changed along with the oil.
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when you post.

Also- please open a SEPARATE thread for your engine (one engine per thread to avoid confusion and/or post hi-jacking). Thanks!

Good rule of thumb: ANYTIME you have overheating and/or low water pressure problems, ALWAYS, ALWAYS start AT THE SOURCE: The Water Pump.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor