Over heating at high speed not at idle.

2007 Pro xs 225 s/n 1b555738

Had the boat out at the lake yesterday. Got about 2 mins at close to wide open and the over heat alarm went off and Vessel view mobile app said over heat. Let it cool down and fired it back up at idle it was at 118 to 120. water pressure at 2.5 to 3.5. it would not over heat at idle. when i would get up on plane it would only get to 13 or 15psi water pressure. and the temp would climb. I would then shut it back down. I know in the past i would get 20+ psi on plane and the temp would drop below 100 degrees. We trailer it and took out the strainer it was covered in weeds and some shell peices. cleaned it out flushed the lines check the thermostats. Put it back in after doing this twice to get rid of the shell pieces and still would not create pressure.

Today I replaced the impeller it looked ok i do not know how old it was so i figured it was time for a new one.
    I also took out the thermostats and tested them ( worked like they should)
    I took out the poppet and cleaned it off
    Flushed out the motor with a hose

Does anybody have any other suggestion for me.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check passages BELOW the impeller plate and the shift seal carrier (these are the low water pickup passages). Wood can become trapped here and result in lower water pressure (as well as lower volume), often causing overheating at RPM's above 4500.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Check passages BELOW the impeller plate and the shift seal carrier (these are the low water pickup passages). Wood can become trapped here and result in lower water pressure (as well as lower volume), often causing overheating at RPM's above 4500.
    Thanks Don, I did check all the those and flushed out and replaced the impeller plate and gaskets. I did notice that part of the upper gasket was missing maybe 1.5 inchs on the side. looks like someone tryed reusing it on the last impeller change. could that missing gasket make a lose in pressure.

4. Member
    Could this be a Poppet valve gone Bad????

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritonx207 View Post
    Thanks Don, I did check all the those and flushed out and replaced the impeller plate and gaskets. I did notice that part of the upper gasket was missing maybe 1.5 inchs on the side. looks like someone tryed reusing it on the last impeller change. could that missing gasket make a lose in pressure.
    Missing gasket is NOT good for achieving pressure.

6. Member
    I ran it this afternoon with all the new items and flushed out , still having the same issue. I took the lower unit back off and it does not have any debris in it to clog it. The stream is good coming out of the engine at idle. Could it be clogged in the engine somewhere or could a faulty poppet valve be causing this?
    Any suggestions

Any new transducer added recently to the pad area
    Did you remove the shift carrier as well for inspection?
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    Nothing new no change to anything. I did look under the shift cover and no debris. It ran fine on Sunday all day

9. Member
    What is the motors temperature, when the motor overheats?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KJK View Post
    What is the motors temperature, when the motor overheats?
    I have not let it overheat since it happened . I did not see what the temp was i shut it down pretty fast.We went back to the launch and cleaned the strainer (it was covered in weeds and broken shells) When I am idleing or going slow the temp is about 117 -120. but when i get up on plane the temp climbs up i come off plane not wanting to mess up the engine. Should i let the temp climb up past 130 and see if it was just a cloged strainer? What temp should the thermostats open up at.?

11. Member
    Thermostats are not being utilized once the boat is on plane. The poppet valve opens to cool the motor when it is on plane.

12. Member
    We got it figured out. Here is what we did,
    Replaced the Impeller , gaskets and Plate.
    Flushed engine out and all water lines.
    Tested thermostats
    inspected the lower unit for blockage.
    Took out poppet valve and cleaned it
    When flushing where the poppet valves go's in I noticed that just above the lower unit there are two small holes one is flowing water fine and the other is just a trickle. Come to find out there were tiny stones blocking the port. So with a dental pick and some time I broke up the stones and they both flow free now. not sure if this could have caused the problem but i am sure it cant be good for the engine.
    Ran it last night with a great steam at idle, temp around 118 with 2.5 psi. on plane it would run from 16psi to 21psi and temp would sit in the 120 range.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank you for sharing your results!!
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)