Annoying Ultrex 112 Vibration and Noise

Sorry, I know there are previous similar threads, but no one is posting any solutions that worked. So indulge me in giving it another try in regards to the Ultrex I installed about 4 weeks ago. Here's the complete story: I just replaced my 15 year old Motorguide (which did not vibrate and make noise in the turns until its sad, very last days) with an Ultrex 112 with 52 inch shaft on a 21 foot Skeeter. It is quiet and vibration fee at all speeds going straight including from a dead stop. When going straight at a speed 5-6, if I initiate an abrupt turn either way of greater than about 30 - 45 degrees, I pick up a noise in the unit and a vibration I can feel in my feet that lasts about 3-5 seconds and then goes away once established in the turn. I noticed this on the very first turn on the very first day out with the TM. I haven’t hit anything. The problem is not effected by the depth of the trolling motor. The problem is only noticeable at a speed setting 5-6. It’s relatively quiet and vibration free above and below that speed. Hard to pinpoint where the noise is coming from, but I think somewhere in the middle of the unit possibly in the turning servo housing. Its not a rattle like something is loose, but rather a staccato, regular tapping noise like a quiet machine gun. If I turn very slowly I don’t notice it. If I keep it pegged at full turn at that speed, the noise and vibration persist. It will even happen in spot lock when the unit swings around as in the initial effort to stabilize the boat position. If I raise the motor out of the water (with or without the prop), I do not get the noise or vibration, and it is smooth and quiet. I’m seeing irregular surface marks on the composite shaft from where it has gone through the turning motor housing suggesting stress within the turning motor mechanism that either is due the composite shaft flexing within the housing on the turn or the vibration is otherwise being transmitted up the shaft. I am on the third MK prop without improvement. All the replacement props have a 4/19 manufacturing date. The lower unit prop shaft is not bent. Checked it several times. Honestly, I don't think it is a problem with the lower unit since it is so quiet and vibration free out of the water. It only happens under load. I put a G Force Eliminator nut on it which I think made the situation worse so went back to original nut. Rotated the props 180 degrees as suggested by MK. The prop nut is tight and the washer centered. The shaft holes seem to have been drilled on center on the hub of the prop. However, I have noticed that none of the three props sits flush against the motor housing. There is a difference in the width of the seam between the hub and the motor housing of as much as a sixteenth of an inch from one side to the other. Not sure if that is enough to cause excessive strain on the prop in the turn. I checked for slack in the wires running down through the shaft as recommended by one service center - there was none. With the top cover off I checked for anything loose - nothing loose. Tightened down the foot pedal cables a couple of turns as recommended by another service center - no improvement. Tightened every screw and bolt I can get access to. The skeg was a little off center, so loosened the two small bolts under the prop, adjusted it and retightened. The mount is solid to the level deck of my Skeeter. Even grabbed the composite shaft under water while it was making noise and I did not notice any severe shaking of the shaft itself. Stuffed a rag into the mount to dampen any vibration from the gas cylinder or latch straps and put a little tension on the pull cord in case the cord stop was rattling. All to no end. In all other respects, the TM works just fine, and I love its features. My local service center said he sent a video I made to MK and is still awaiting a reply more than a week later. He doesn’t know what to do except tear everything down since the problem can’t be replicated out of the water. I called MK and asked the MK customer service person to discuss with the service people at MK. Her response was "They said only a few motors have been returned to MK for vibration." Of course she would not agree to just send me a new motor or at least cover the $125 one way shipping cost back to MK for a motor that is just 3 weeks old. Not badmouthing MK or moaning about. Just disappointed in the service response and the warranty and I want my money’s worth.

I agree with all the speculation that under the load of the turn there may be enough flow disruption or strain over the prop to set up a harmonic. But then everyone who cares would be posting this same issue and MK wouldn’t be pretending this is not a common issue. Personally I think the load on the prop in the turn is flexing the 52 inch composite shaft as it runs through the turning motor housing so the gears or turning mechanism is not gripping the shaft consistently until established in the turn. Question is, is this “normal” or can something be done to make it quiet and vibration free in the turn. Wonder if there could still be a problem in the lower unit that aggravates in otherwise normal phenomenon. Honestly I don’t think it effects the fishing except perhaps real shallow. But when something vibrates, inevitably that puts stress on bearings and bushings which may eventually fail. I wish I could get a service center tech (tried three who reviewed the video I made) to say, “I’ve seen that problem and here is what I think will fix it,” before just tearing it apart for a problem that can’t be replicated when the unit is out of the water.

Are you having similar issues? What has worked and what has not? If you want to see the videos and photos I have taken, send me a private message. From just reading the blog I can not get a sense of how common this issue may be. But after spending $3000 for a state of the art TM I am not going to give up. Thanks, Skeeterguy48.
    Last edited by skeeterguy48; 07-20-2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: updated

2. Member
    OK, I'm honestly not sure if you have a trolling motor problem. I think this is what is happening. When you're moving at that speed and turn, the prop is changing directions and the harmonics of that speed in conjunction with the sides of the prop slicing instead of giving thrust is causing a temporary vibration. I believe this is the reason the problem doesn't exist when not under a load and the reason other props doesn't change it. On my Ultrex, I've notice a vibration from time to time, but it's temporary so I've never tried to trace it down.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    John - I think you are right, and I just need more reassurance from some of the other users that this is a normal phenomenon. I think the vibration is related to turbulence over the prop but feeling it in my feet is a bit disconcerting. Now I just need to figure out where the rattle is coming from. That’s the most annoying part. I did send the two videos to your folks (check with Michael). I don’t know if you had a chance to look at them. You were out of the shop at the time. Thanks. Frank

4. Member
    Yeah I mean it is noisy when I do that.

I notice it most when I'm last second dodging stumps and logs retrieving my buddies jigs.

If it's above 5 or 6 on the speed setting and I turn it all the way around or I make a sharp turn it will make a ruckus.

But dude my boat is heavy, like real heavy. It's dry weight is 2500, motor is 500, 4 batteries, 40 gallons of gas, a 300lb buddy, etc etc it's probably darn near 4k pounds.

The ultrex will get me moving, that is a lot of energy moving in one direction. 4k lbs moving at 2mph is an incredible amount of energy. Then it has enough power to totally redirect my boat. You better believe there is going to be some rattling and shaking.

Imagine an Olympic sprinter moving at 25mph..he decides to cut and turn 90 degrees and keeps exerting his legs to generate 25mph...theres gonna be a real awkward moment where his entire body flexes and if his knees and hips don't explode its gonna be tough to change directions. .

5. Member
    I tend to agree with John. Turning the motor changes the dynamics temporarily.

On my boat, I was having vibration issues. I called MinnKota and got a new prop. My problem went away. I am also very careful about centering the washer that goes under the lock nut as I tighten it down. I have no vibration to speak of except when I make a hard turn at moderate-to-fast speed.

I have spent the last two days fishing out of my partner's boat, and his Ultrex seems to vibrate at all speeds. I can feel the vibration in the foot pedal. I didn't check his prop. I suspect he needs a new one.

I am considering buying a lawn mower blade balancer just to make sure I keep my prop exactly balanced.

6. Member
    John - While I agree that the issue is probably related to the prop, the vibration is not an intermittent issue. Every turn at 5-6 speed generates the temporary vibration and rattle. I noticed that all three props I tried were manufactured 4/19. They share one thing in common. When they are properly mounted, the width of the seam between the hub of the prop and the motor housing is uneven by almost a sixteenth of an inch. Could that small discrepancy generate enough of an unbalance situation to set up the harmonic?

7. Member
    Skeeterguy, It is the power of the motor vs the plastic prop. The prop will warp with the extreme pressure applied during the turn.
    With less powerful motors it is not as noticeable but still happens. I had a motorguide a while back and they even came out with a metal prop to minimize that effect. You mentioned that propnut did not help but It did help mine a bit. I don’ think your’s is unique. JMHO Bob

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterguy48 View Post
    John - While I agree that the issue is probably related to the prop, the vibration is not an intermittent issue. Every turn at 5-6 speed generates the temporary vibration and rattle. I noticed that all three props I tried were manufactured 4/19. They share one thing in common. When they are properly mounted, the width of the seam between the hub of the prop and the motor housing is uneven by almost a sixteenth of an inch. Could that small discrepancy generate enough of an unbalance situation to set up the harmonic?
    Is the shear pin bent. I ask because of the statement that the prop is uneven on the shaft/motor. The shear pin being a tight fit in the armature hole and the prop tight to the shear pin should "square up" the prop. this is some of what the large nuts advertised to remove vibration do. They're flat enough across to press the shoulders of the prop evenly and square it with the armature.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member

More on vibration

John -I really appreciate your continued feedback. The shear pins on all three props were fine. I think the props are just not sitting “square” against the lower unit housing. I think your prop turbulence theory is right on as to the source of the vibration. Now I just need to figure out what is actually vibrating in the unit enough to be felt in my feet and heard as a low pitched rattle until I’m stabilized in the turn. Is there anything in the turning motor housing that could vibrate or rattle? I’ve checked the mount repeatedly. Also, please note the wear marks in the attached photo on the composite shaft where it passed through the housing when the motor was higher. Are these normal?
    Attached Images Attached Images