Thread: 17 Lexus RX 350

Question 17 Lexus RX 350

Has anyone had any experience with the Rx350. My wife is looking at one. We have never owned a Lexus product just mainly GM. Any problems or concerns with the Lexus line. It ride and drives great. It's the F-sport and has plenty of power. Just hesitant to buy since it's out of our norm for car companies never had Toyota or Lexus.

2. Member
    just bought a 2016 rx350 f sport in May of this year. Love it. rides and drives great. Reliability is good from everything I have read. Havent found anything I dont like on it yet.
    Jer
    1999 Ranger R-97 Reata
    2007 Yamaha 200 VMax HPDI

Lexus is, year in and year out, the most reliable brand out there, and the RX series is their most popular. I'd put them up against any company out there. The RX350 is basically a Toyota Highlander with some upgrades and different molding.

Wife has a 2011 RX450h (the hybrid version of the RX350) and it's been incredible. Over 100k, actually tows my bass boat extremely well, the only thing we've done is change oil and put a new set of tires on it. Still rides like new, road noise is non-existent, awesome vehicle. When the time comes we'll replace it with another without a second thought.

Literally the only complaint I've heard from anyone about them is that they don't like the "joystick" style controls for the infotainment system. Personally I think those people are nuts because that joystick control is the most intuitive and impressive control system I've ever seen - easily the best for being able to do what you need to do and keep your eyes on the road in my mind - but I suppose that's personal preference.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by scott c View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with the Rx350. My wife is looking at one. We have never owned a Lexus product just mainly GM. Any problems or concerns with the Lexus line. It ride and drives great. It's the F-sport and has plenty of power. Just hesitant to buy since it's out of our norm for car companies never had Toyota or Lexus.
    My mother drove her RX almost 300k miles.....she sold it to a guy who is still driving it 5 years later. She went to a BMW but will go back to another RX next car. They are amazing cars, and rarely have issues.

5. Member
    It’s the luxury brand for Toyota. The RX350 has the same engine, platform and transmission as the Toyota Highlander. The Lexus produces more horsepower and has the luxury features. In the end, you’re buying Toyota reliability with high class luxury interior.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Pretty much covered above, just bought my wife a 2017 GX 460 a week or so ago. It’s our second Lexus. She did drive a new Limited 4Runner again before buying the used CPO Lexus. They may be both made by Toyota, but they ride and drive different. Go drive both the Highlander and RX and decide which she likes best. Right now my biggest issue is not saying “I told you so” again when she brings up her Land Rover breaking once it crossed the 30,000 mile mark. She had to get it out of her system. We’ve had minimal issues with our Toyota/Lexus products.

My wife has the NX which is the the smaller version of the RX. It's been a great car so far, she only has 60,000 miles on it so can't really speak of long term liability yet, but so far it has been flawless. As was said above, Lexus is year in a and year out by far the most reliable vehicle out there.

Wifey drives a 17 RX350 FSport...loves it. Trouble free...Lexus service is really good.
    Far better than any domestic places I’ve ever used. You won’t regret the vehicle.

I’ve got an older Lexus RX350. It pulls my 21’ Skeeter with no problesms.

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Lexus is a great vehicle.....we have an 08' IS 250 (car) and an '11 RX350 (like pictured above)....got the RX from wifes aunt (she went and bought new '18 RX 350) last year and it has 150K miles and just had the water pump changed but runs awesome. The car, we had since 18K miles and now have 115K on it. Basically just changed the oil and tires.....did the 100K tune up and changed water pump with all being in great shape.....

With my experience on these 2 vehicles, i wouldn't hesitate to buy another Lexus vehicle.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

11. Member
    Lexus or Acura, can't really go wrong. I have the Acura MDX, but had a Lexus when younger. Any premium japanese car is going to last with minimal repairs.

12. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    So you guys have me curious. I have always had a pickup for towing and now have a 2017 Silverado, which is great for me, and my wife drives a Honda CrV which she also loves. Except that she would like us to have a vehicle with 3rd row seating...and her garage space will not fit [older home] any vehicle bigger than the CrV. But my truck space would fit about anything short of a school bus.

The RX450h outfitted the way I would want it, including tow package and hitch receiver, retails for $48,900. Give or take a thousand or two, what could I buy that for? I’m probably opening the wrong can of worms here, given that the wife, daughter, and grandkids would want the Lexus on weekends that I’m fishing, but it’s food for thought, anyway. TIA.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    So you guys have me curious. I have always had a pickup for towing and now have a 2017 Silverado, which is great for me, and my wife drives a Honda CrV which she also loves. Except that she would like us to have a vehicle with 3rd row seating...and her garage space will not fit [older home] any vehicle bigger than the CrV. But my truck space would fit about anything short of a school bus.

The RX450h outfitted the way I would want it, including tow package and hitch receiver, retails for $48,900. Give or take a thousand or two, what could I buy that for? I’m probably opening the wrong can of worms here, given that the wife, daughter, and grandkids would want the Lexus on weekends that I’m fishing, but it’s food for thought, anyway. TIA.
    If you want it new, you could probably buy it for about $48,900....

I'm being a little facetious, but Toyota and especially Lexus don't mark stuff way up so they can mark it down like a lot of the USDM brands tend to do. While you might get a thousand or three off and of course if you have a trade-in there are always games to be played there, they won't come off of it much. Looking for certified used can often get you a lower price or more well equipped vs. what you'd pay for new plus you end up with a longer warranty if it's only a year or two old. Lexus's certified used program is excellent. Not that I'd be worried about buying one out of warranty or not certified, just worth mentioning if you like that peace of mind.

For what it's worth, when I've towed my boat with the wife's 450h, even though my boat as it sits is probably bumping up somewhat close to the 3,500 lb tow capacity (trailer GVWR is 3,500...hull weight is something like 1,360 dry, motor a little north of 500, add trailer weight, gas, gear, etc...) it handled it incredibly well. Usually you're concerned with stopping whatever you're towing, but those electric motors working in conjunction with the regular brakes had that thing stopping my boat as well as my Tundra does. Plus I'd get 16-17 mpg while pulling the boat which I'd never believe if I hadn't seen it for myself.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

14. Member
    Thanks for all the input. We are still trying to make a decision.

15. Member
    IMO CPO is the way to buy luxury vehicles. I bought the 2011 new in their December to Remember Event. It was the last 2011 they had, no choice in color etc...and I got a great buy on it. That is their big sale. Most all the other luxury stuff including the latest we buy coming of lease, low miles and save major bucks. I think the sticker on this one was mid 50's and it was $40,000 (that's less than a new 4-Runner Limited) with 24,000 miles on it. The CPO warranty was one year factory and two more CPO matching the factory bumper to bumper for a total of three years bumper to bumper with unlimited miles and two years maintenance included. I could have bought two more years bumper to bumper with unlimited miles for 1,500.00 additional dollars. If you don't want to do your own maintenance your local Toyota dealer can do most all routine service at half what Lexus charges. I bet more of them are leased new than bought new, so there seems to be a great selection of three year old luxury vehicles to choose from.

I have a Lexus SC430 (convertible sport coupe) Only has about 20k miles on it. Just sits in the garage. But the radio won't work. Turns out Lexus used an amp that has some sort of proprietary wiring that cannot (easily) be replaced by an aftermarket unit. Dealer price for the amp is $1,200. Not everything Lexus is wonderful
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

17. Member
    My wife went from the Lexus2015 350 ES to the 2017 RX and loves it, loves it, loves it.
    Easier to get in and out of, better vision not blocked by other trucks, great ride and service is impeccable.
    Drives great, fantastic warning detection, looks sharp.
    We could not think of another car that she would love as much.

18. Member
    My wife is driving our 10th.....last 4 have been RX 350’s. Great vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    IMO CPO is the way to buy luxury vehicles. I bought the 2011 new in their December to Remember Event. It was the last 2011 they had, no choice in color etc...and I got a great buy on it. That is their big sale. Most all the other luxury stuff including the latest we buy coming of lease, low miles and save major bucks. I think the sticker on this one was mid 50's and it was $40,000 (that's less than a new 4-Runner Limited) with 24,000 miles on it. The CPO warranty was one year factory and two more CPO matching the factory bumper to bumper for a total of three years bumper to bumper with unlimited miles and two years maintenance included. I could have bought two more years bumper to bumper with unlimited miles for 1,500.00 additional dollars. If you don't want to do your own maintenance your local Toyota dealer can do most all routine service at half what Lexus charges. I bet more of them are leased new than bought new, so there seems to be a great selection of three year old luxury vehicles to choose from.
    My wife bought her NX as a CPO. The dealership we bought it from keeps a fleet of something like 80 loaner cars. They give you a loaner for anything, my wife will drop her car off on the way to work, they give you a loaner and they will change the oil or anything else that you need done. They give you a loaner for any service no matter how small. Anyway, they keep their loaners for a year and about 10,000 miles and then sell them. That's what my wife's car was, got the extended warranty on it although we've had no use for it.