Removing automatic oiling system from 1999 225 Mercury Optimax

I've had this motor since it was new and, other than replacing the air pump, have had no problems. I'm being told though that it is just a matter of time before the plastic gears driving the oil pump fails with no warning which, most likely, will cause catistrophic damge to the power head. I've studied this forum and talked to several mechanics and the general consisnus seems to be that it would be wise to remove the automatic oiling system. Several posts have mentioned kits available from Mercury to do this conversion. I contacted Mercury directly and their tech rep said that Mercury's official position was: "Do not disable the automatic oiling system". He said that there is a lot of information on line and, if I wanted to pursue this suggested I go on line to find out how to do it. I Would really appreciate a source for the kit and any other pro or con suggestions anyone might be willing to provide

Thanks,
    Basser Jack

2. Member
    well JACK tell the several that optimax engines have a electric oil pump controlled by the PCM that cannot be disabled, and not driven by the crank gear like older carb and efi engines
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    I think it's only a problem if you exceed the recommended RPM range.

4. Member
    You've made my day. Thank you very much for your input.
    Basser Jack

5. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by Basser Jack View Post
    I've had this motor since it was new and, other than replacing the air pump, have had no problems. I'm being told though that it is just a matter of time before the plastic gears driving the oil pump fails with no warning which, most likely, will cause catistrophic damge to the power head. I've studied this forum and talked to several mechanics and the general consisnus seems to be that it would be wise to remove the automatic oiling system. Several posts have mentioned kits available from Mercury to do this conversion. I contacted Mercury directly and their tech rep said that Mercury's official position was: "Do not disable the automatic oiling system". He said that there is a lot of information on line and, if I wanted to pursue this suggested I go on line to find out how to do it. I Would really appreciate a source for the kit and any other pro or con suggestions anyone might be willing to provide

Thanks,
    Basser Jack
    This a perfect example of bad information being far worse than none at all
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +100. And I'll add that OIL and FUEL are not even mixed together in the Optimax setup- oil is injected directly into the reed block area (intake), fuel is delivered at the other end.

Good idea to check out the 3.0L Forum (two more down the list). That's where your engine would be covered.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor