3-1 or HDI on TM?

Current Setup at bow:
    ULTREX US2 - not using the transducer
    Gen3 HDS 12
    Gen3 HDS 9
    HDI transducer

Looking to upgrade to an HDS 12 LIVE on the bow of my boat, been running an HDI for some time and am fairly happy with the results. I am adding the livesight transducer on the trolling motor shaft and am debating adding in a 3-1 on the TM with a transducer saver bracket. Is the 3-1 worth it over the HDI? I never use side scan(nor could I) on the bow, just 2d and down imaging.

I also have the gen3 HDS 9 on the bow that I will use mainly for mapping, would I be able to display the 3-1 output on the gen3 9 if the 3-1 is connected to the HDS LIVE 12 and networked to the gen3 HDS 9?

My goal by making the adjustment is to get livesight and better clarity(if possible) for 2D/DI on the bow. If the new setup offers anything I am missing, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    Yes you can display the 3 in 1 from your live unit onto your gen3. You should stay with the hdi if your happy with it. Many have been complaining about the di on the 3 in 1 transducer. And there won't be much if any as far as an "upgrade" that will take place.

If you want the hdi to hookup to your live you will need a 7 to 9 pin adapter.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbmitch View Post
    Yes you can display the 3 in 1 from your live unit onto your gen3. You should stay with the hdi if your happy with it. Many have been complaining about the di on the 3 in 1 transducer. And there won't be much if any as far as an "upgrade" that will take place.

If you want the hdi to hookup to your live you will need a 7 to 9 pin adapter.
    Perfect thanks! If I leave my HDS 9 up there, I assume I can just plug the HDI into the gen3 9 and use the DI to display on the live 12 and the 9?

Funny thing. I never felt the need to have SI on the TM with my GEN 1 and 2 units and just wanted the HDI. Then I got a my Live units with Active Imaging SI and now suddenly I feel like I want that on the TM as well. It so much better than what I had I feel like I could actually use it.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djtavilla View Post
    Perfect thanks! If I leave my HDS 9 up there, I assume I can just plug the HDI into the gen3 9 and use the DI to display on the live 12 and the 9?
    Correct

6. Member
    I am very happy with my hdi on the trolling motor. I have been able to see schools of bass, mark them with a waypoint back up a little and go to catching them. not familiar with the new livescan technology