Praying Livescope optimal settings for best viewing of fish?

What are some of the tried and true settings you guys are having the most luck with seeing a clear picture when using your livescope?
    I typically use the forward view. I can never see my bait like others can on the 93sv plus screen. Do you set the range every time or put it in auto mode?
    What color screen do you like? TVG OFF?? Gain 55%??? Noise reject off??
    Just looking to fine tune this a little better-thanks for any help BBC guys!

It is different each day. I usually start with TVG on med, noise reject on med. and 50% gain. Range will depend on how i am fishing but usually not more than 80ft. Keep depth on manual and adjust it to a little deeper than you are fishing. I really like the blue palette. The fish will pop with yellow and red.

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The best distance I can see my lure a 1-16 crappie is about 40 max a jerkbait is about 50-55 .Fish I have no problem out to about 80 .I keep my focus on 25 or so tvg med and gain usually around 55-65 .Noise is off .One thing I have learned even if you don’t see your lure watch the fish they will tell you if they see it This proves you can be say at 22-25 inches and the beam is 20 inches wide that’s about one foot you can be out of the beam but still close enough for the fish to see it in the right water conditions.

4. Member
    I turn my color gain up higher than default by about 10+ to help my bait and fish show up brighter. Everything else depends on water conditions. Blue pallete shows up your bait and fish best but you lose some detail. I'm liking the black emerald. I really don't mind having some clutter, I'd rather see some clutter and see beer details than have a clear pretty picture and lose detail.

5. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    yes I also have my color gain almost all the way up

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    The best distance I can see my lure a 1-16 crappie is about 40 max a jerkbait is about 50-55 .Fish I have no problem out to about 80 .I keep my focus on 25 or so tvg med and gain usually around 55-65 .Noise is off .One thing I have learned even if you don’t see your lure watch the fish they will tell you if they see it This proves you can be say at 22-25 inches and the beam is 20 inches wide that’s about one foot you can be out of the beam but still close enough for the fish to see it in the right water conditions.
    I could not agree more with this statement. When I first installed my Livescope I was obsessed with watching my lure and trying to keep it in the cone/beam. Last weekend I spent 2 days fishing walleye. I knew where my lure was, but it would drift off the screen. I must have watched 40 fish come off the bottom of the lake and hit my lure. Some of the funnest fishing I've had in years, seeing a fish swim at me, knowing I was going to get a hit 2 seconds later. This stuff is magic!

For settings I try to keep noise and TVG off, but water clarity is a big variable. I prefer to see the rays from the ducer and a bit of extra noise if it also means I see more fish. I've tried other colors, but always go back to Amber.

-J

7. Member
    Same here for small jigs push up the color gain. Staying towards the center of the cone with a light jig is probably the hardest part. I know some guys run a bigger split shot above the jig also. I dont even try to see my small jigs other than vertical jigging.

Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    I turn my color gain up higher than default by about 10+ to help my bait and fish show up brighter. Everything else depends on water conditions. Blue pallete shows up your bait and fish best but you lose some detail. I'm liking the black emerald. I really don't mind having some clutter, I'd rather see some clutter and see beer details than have a clear pretty picture and lose detail.

8. Member
    I think one thing that may happen, at least according to my installer, is if you have the Livescope transducer installed on the side of the TM shaft, it will be canted to the side (as per its design) which means the cone is now tilted and not aiming dead straight ahead. This accounts for your lure "disappearing" as it goes down. With my transducer installed on the side of my TM head, I see straight ahead and can see my lure, even small crappie jigs out to 20-25 feet. I like being able to see my lure, so I try my best to get my settings right so I know where it is in relation to the fish, cover, etc. Increasing your gain and getting "clutter" doesn't bother me so long as I can see the lure and fish decently. I play with the gain etc most every trip just to see what setting helps me the most.

9. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I have played with the offset and not any real difference

10. Member
    Last time out I just set it to default and I had great definition on fish down to 55'. I could usually see my 3/8 oz. jig as well. I sometimes adjust my range out and down too, mainly to be able to see as much water as possible, (kind of like zoom, only not). Our water is super clear, and that probably makes a difference. When I would get over a good bunch of fish, I turn the transducer back to show the full length of the boat and past some. That way it shows what's under the guys in the back too.

Pole mount
    0 degree wedge to replace 7 degree factory offset
    Default settings
    Ground the black box to reduce interference

The transducer viewing angle is only 20 degrees. This means you have to put the lure almost directly in front of the transducer to see it on the screen. The pole mount has a direction indicator on it...this allows you to ensure the lure is in front of the transducer.

When you find brush, manually set your forward view to 24ft and your depth to just below the depth you’re fishing...this zooms in on the brush.

Also notice I hid the menu screen at the bottom, this gives you more screen. I just touch the bottom and the menu pops back up.

I will not fish unless I see my lure 100% of the time. Like this:

Last edited by j791; 07-20-2019 at 02:14 PM.

12. Banned
    Whats all the stray rays coming from.? I get the same thing. Usually it comes off the bottom looking like a tree.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by j791 View Post
    Pole mount
    0 degree wedge to replace 7 degree factory offset
    Default settings
    Ground the black box to reduce interference

The transducer viewing angle is only 20 degrees. This means you have to put the lure almost directly in front of the transducer to see it on the screen. The pole mount has a direction indicator on it...this allows you to ensure the lure is in front of the transducer.

When you find brush, manually set your forward view to 24ft and your depth to just below the depth you’re fishing...this zooms in on the brush.

Also notice I hid the menu screen at the bottom, this gives you more screen. I just touch the bottom and the menu pops back up.

I will not fish unless I see my lure 100% of the time. Like this:

Why 24 ft.? would 20 0r 30 work as good.?

That is interference...the sonar beams. It sometimes looks like a tree. I use to get it all the time until I grounded my black box. If there is dirty water, high wind, etc...you will see it. The water in the video was stagnant so all the dirt and particles in the water showed up. One hour later my unit was crystal clear...all based on water conditions.
    Last edited by j791; 07-20-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Why 24 ft.? would 20 0r 30 work as good.?
    Absolutely, play around to see what works best. I found if I zoom too much the image gets blurry and if I zoom out too far the image is too small. It really depends on the depth how far out you set your forward view. The main thing is don’t keep the forward view at 60ft and expect to see detail and don’t keep your depth to deep...keep it just beyond the depth you’re fishing. I usually set the depth first and then adjust the forward view.
    Last edited by j791; 07-20-2019 at 02:34 PM.

16. Banned
    Thanks When I get that tree looking interference i am in dirty water. I also try to keep my forward range at 30' i never go past 40

I go out 60ft in forward when searching for brush. I then manually change it for a closer view when I start fishing.

18. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Loz this spring and early summer were a mud hole and never had a difference in the screen returns

19. Banned

How do you achieve this.?

Trying to remember as I don’t have the unit in front of me...settings...system...display...menu bar display...auto hide