Favorite baits or presentations for the dog days of summer

so with the water temps getting way up what are some of your alls favorite ways and or baits to catch them this time of year.
    we are getting up in the upper 80s and lower 90s in water temps here.

2. Member
    Carolina rigged baby brush hog or dragging a football jig gets the nod for me. I’ll also always have a topwater walking bait and/or plopper tied on for first thing in the morning.

3. Member
    Here it's drop shot, spoons, swimbaits, and FB jigs. Big worm sometimes. Or go as far up a river as you can and power fish.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TableRock55 View Post
    Here it's drop shot, spoons, swimbaits, and FB jigs. Big worm sometimes. Or go as far up a river as you can and power fish.
    I forgot about going up the river. That’s definitely an option I like to use. Get up in skinny water and flip, crank, and frog.

5. Member
    Texas rig a 10.5-11" worm and slowy drag channel swing ledges

For largemouth here, flipping (pitching....) deep vegetation with a heavy (3/4 oz, give or take) pegged Texas rig or grass jig is my favorite if I can catch them doing it. Drop shot around outside weed edges is always something that seems to work otherwise.

For smallmouth, I'll throw a Biffle style head if I've got clean rocks and tend to do well on it. Otherwise, once again, that damn drop shot or a Ned rig will get bites when you can't get them otherwise.

"Summer" is of course all relative. We're basically at peak water temps here in the Twin Cities Metro in the low 80s.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

7. Banned
    I just caught a nice 3 lber in the hottest part of the day off the deck throwing a Black/Blue tail floating worm 3/8 weight pegged slowly dragged back. It stands up the whole time You drag it and the tail flicks

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    I forgot about going up the river. That’s definitely an option I like to use. Get up in skinny water and flip, crank, and frog.
    You can get away from the ski boats this way, too. And guarantee you'll sweat your ass off. I did it last weekend when it was insane on the main lake. Caught a lot of fish, too.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I try to fish early and late right now. Last night I only got to fish 30 min before dark because of the rain but the Jackhammer with a Keitech caught 3 in those 30 min. The fish felt hot! We had a decent rain and I was amazed how hot the fish’s body’s felt compared to the water! It was eye opening for me but they were feisty!

Between my Lil John, Speed worm, soft swimbait and swim jig, those have been getting the most bites in my 88+ degree water.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Member
    Carolina rig and fb jigs

Last Friday, our water temps on Lk. Washington were right around 70F on the main lake. We boated 3 respectable Smallmouth in about 6 hours. Lots of ski and wake boats...ugh. No river to go up, no river channel drop. I think we needed to fish around 30'-45' deep, so DS and Shakyhead. Not to say there isn't some interesting structure, but it's not everywhere, and a lot of that still doesn't pay off. Ask Ike*

* Reference to Ike's "City Limits Fishing" show...he came to Lk. Washington and blanked.
    Last edited by Walkabout7781; 07-25-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

12. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:13 AM.