Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yj99t04 View Post
    I've been trying to find the best jig head design to skip, and I'm sure everyone has their favorite, but I found that the head design doesn't matter all that much. The jig is in a different position when it hits the water every skip and it looks like it just needs to have the right low trajectory to skip. I bet if you did it right you could skip a football jig. I found a couple of YouTube videos from Tactical Bassin and Lake Fork Guy that showed jigs skipping in slow motion and they are flopping all over as they skip across the water. I'm sure the head shape might help some, but I just don't see how the jig rides on the head for the skip. I was getting caught up in finding the right jig, but I think it's finding the right rod that has the perfect tip needed to skip a jig. Thoughts?
    I love skipping docks, and you are 100% correct in my opinion and from my experience. The head plays no part, some trailers skip better than others, but the actual skipping technique is what makes it work or not.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    Arkie style for me. A flat stone skips better than a not so flat
    Your right about a flat stone, but not a jig head. After the firs bounce, it will tumble in all kinds of directions for bounces 2, 3 4 etc.

3. Member
    One last thought for those that are new to this and learning, no matter how good someone is, they will still get mini backlashes throughout the day. It can be minimized after much practice, but even the best get some minor issues throughout an entire day of doing it.

I think technique is the biggest part of it - I agree that you could skip a football head if you needed to. For example, I guarantee that Andy Montgomery could skip any jig out there better than I could skip the most ideal skipping jig ever made fitted with the best skipping trailer ever made. I also agree with those who say that the trailer matters more, maybe even significantly more, than the head shape.

That said, in my experimenting I've definitely found that the head style does make a noticeable difference. I am absolutely convinced that some want to "dig in" more than others. I envision it as analogous to how some head designs will sink faster than others for a given weight, or how some will stay down better than others for the same weight. It may have to do with the shape of the head, maybe it's just the way the line tie is oriented, or hell, maybe it's even in my head.

Whatever the case, give me a jig most would consider good for skipping, the best I've found is the head design on the All Terrain swim jig in 3/8 (interestingly, I've found that their swim jig is better for skipping than their "skipping" jig) with a flat, wide trailer like a Rage Bug and I will absolutely be able to skip it better than something like a 3/8 football head with the same trailer. I've found the same with chatterbaits; I have some poured on a round style head that I really like for the action and way they come through stuff, but I definitely can't skip them as well as a more traditional chatterbait head.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Banned
    I've found I can skip better with a Medium rod VS a Medium Heavy. It just has more tip whip and generates more velocity.

A lot of the guys who are really good at it around here use a heavy action rod.

Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    A lot of the guys who are really good at it around here use a heavy action rod.

Really? If I used a heavy action rod, the jig shoots up in the air.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Spinning reel. Save yourself a lot of headache.

Heavy power often equates to a broomstick which I think is the biggest problem. What most people refer to as a "fast tip" or "extra fast" action are what I'd call a moderate-fast action. If you look at rod action charts (see below), extra-fast action gets to the backbone, well, really fast - it is really a broomstick. But anglers and manufacturers can't agree on what different actions mean, so getting rods with the right action is a big challenge. That's not even getting into the confusion between power and action, how those terms are applied, how some people/manufacturers think they mean the same thing, and how others think they're very different.

In any case, I think you want some backbone on the rod which is probably why some guys like heavy power, but in order to skip well it's very helpful to have a tip that's a little whippy like Brent11 mentions. Just going with skipping specific rods gets you there as painlessly as possible I think. As I mentioned above, I really think the big issue is that what some rod companies call extra fast, others call moderate fast. For me, the same rod action I like to throw a buzzbait on works great as a skipping rod.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

10. Member
    I pick my jig head mostly on presentation... there it ONE particular shape head that certainly has the best hookup ratio ( got a great tip from what I would consider to be the best bass angler in Ohio)and I have went to it almost exclusively other than when I want an extremely fast fall in open water. As for skipping jigs, it’s my opinion that once you’re efficient at skipping, the most important thing is distance and angle from target with adjustment for weight of jig. Typically you can skip a heavier jig a farther distance..

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Spinning reel. Save yourself a lot of headache.
    1/2 ounce jig on it?? I skip and shoot senkos, flukes, and trick worms with one but I worked through the headache so I can get a big bite bait where a light lure will not even think about penetrating .. spinning outfits are good for a lot of dock scenarios but leave a lot of meat on the table. My best fish today ( from Douglas.. my first time here) on a half ounce jig skipped way back under a giant flooded willow in 12’ .. I stripped off at least 8’ before my line jumped.. some things that eggbeater just can’t do..

12. Fishing is a Passion
    I fished as a co angler with a gentleman that could skip jigs, crankbaits, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. After a day of this I realized it is the mechanics 100%.

I know that my thumb is not quick enough and I certainly need to work on my roll cast with a baitcaster, however give me a spinning rod and I am a lot more successful.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    I fished as a co angler with a gentleman that could skip jigs, crankbaits, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. After a day of this I realized it is the mechanics 100%.

I know that my thumb is not quick enough and I certainly need to work on my roll cast with a baitcaster, however give me a spinning rod and I am a lot more successful.
    Ive never saw anyone skip a crankbait. I’m not much of a crankbait fisherman so to speak of, but I will chime in on the spinnerbait/ buzzbait aspect. He probably wasn’t “skipping “ them .. he was” SLIDING “ them across the top of the water. It is easier with a buzzbait than a blade. The prop is fixed and creates a consistent lift/drag . You are correct it’s certainly controlled by the thumb but starts with the right amount of momentum and trajectory. I’m an avid buzzbait guy.. probably a guru.. probably have it in my hand over 50% of the time if the cover is thick and overhangs.. when I’m in my zone I can get it to slide 6 to 10 feet across the top. A blade maybe 3-5. I’m pitching mostly and not roll casting. Might could be done better with a roll cast, but I loose the accuracy to put it through a small opening.. In early spring i square bill the same stuff I buzzbait Now.. Soo.. I guess I have some practice to do..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12