2000 OX66 225 sputtering

I have a 225 ox66 that is sputtering almost like a miss and it will die out every once in a while at idle.

running down the lake the motor will loose speed if I let off and get back on it will pick up.

replaced plugs and primer bulb and low pressure pumps are less than a year old what do you guys think I should look at next?

You didn't mention how long it's been since you changed the fuel filters.
    2005 Xpress X19 Tournament Series Dual Console
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

3. Member
    Just changed both of the filters as well.

4. Member
    lp pumps could already have a rip in the diaphragm.. Also check the o2 sensor

5. Member
    O2 sensor.

6. Member
    Check the low pressure pumps. I've seen these go out very quickly if the motor isn't in perfect tune. The loss of RPM and then pick up when you let off the gas and hit it again is a classic low pressure fuel pump symptom.

7. Member
    If it is the fuel pumps I'd look at doing link and sync, plugs, check TPS, and maybe a new O2 sensor. One lean sneeze at idle will pop a diaphragm and keeping the engine in tune is the key to not having that happen. The LP fuel pumps on this engine are a weak spot.

8. Member
    Thanks

9. Member
    I had the same problem and found the small mystery filter on top of the VST was pretty dirty. I replaced it and it solved my issue.

10. Member
    +4 on the o2 sensor and clean the siphon tube. I have ran into a few where the sensor had to be replaced to fix the issue, cleaning it didn't fix the problem. The fuel system should be in top shape also. That is the heart of these engines. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

11. Member
    I am having a similar problem on my 250 OX66. Curious if you found out what the actual problem was and what it took to fix it. I am headed to the repair shop on Monday.

Thanks.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tnhunter View Post
    I am having a similar problem on my 250 OX66. Curious if you found out what the actual problem was and what it took to fix it. I am headed to the repair shop on Monday.

Thanks.
    I have not changed the low pressure pumps and it changed nothing.

O2 sensor and sniffer tube

14. Member
    I agree with O2 sensor. Rent/borrow the removal tool from Oreilly, soak end of sensor in Yamaha fluid ( I think it is the ring free), reinstall. Had to do this about once a year with 250 OX66.

15. Member
    I use seafoam and soak the 02 sensor. Place it in an pill bottle and pour seafoam till it is just under the threads. Clean the barbell inside the sniffer. Check your o-ring and o2 sensor gasket too. I ordered a new 02 sensor on eBay. NTK. I can get the number from my book. You will need to cut the old wire harness and install on replacement. When cutting the old harness cut the two wires closest to the old 02 sensor. Leaves enough wire for future repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by PUMA1973 View Post
    I agree with O2 sensor. Rent/borrow the removal tool from Oreilly, soak end of sensor in Yamaha fluid ( I think it is the ring free), reinstall. Had to do this about once a year with 250 OX66.
    I remove my O2 sensor and sniffer tube every winter, no special tools needed. I tape a pill bottle to the power head insert the O2 sensor and put Ringfree in the pill bottle, a month or two later I put everything back together

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    O2 sensor.
    More than likely
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

18. Member
    i just went thru the same thing with a 2004 200 ox66. cleaned my o2 sensor and related items and it now runs much better. less smoke at idle and smoother and about 3 mph better top end. quick and ez

19. Member
    NTK 21006
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO