LVS12 ice fishing?

Little out if season but im sure theres a few ice fisherman out there. I have only used my ps21 ice fishing. For you guys that have used your ps22 how do you think the lvs12 would work for ice fishing? Lvs32 isnt the most potable thing around.

2. Member
    not an ice fisherman but have used an lvs12. See no reason why it wouldnt work even better.

3. Member
    Based on only one outing. Another guy had the lvs32 and we fished a rather large pond (20 acres ). Head to head comparison to be fair he was using 7 inch screen echomap plus. I was using nine inch screen Echomap chirp with PS 22.

His by far the prettier picture. But in everything else I liked my setup better. Fish were easier to see because of larger imaging. Cost his setup almost 2X mine. Power draw more on his setup although smaller screen. We switched setups for about a half hour. I was glad when the 30 minutes were up.

This is the only head to head comparison for me. Maybe I am too attuned to my setup to appreciate the upgrade. But for now prefer the older panoptix.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

4. Member
    Yeah the details maybe isnt quite as necessary for ice fishing. Power draw is a big factor also.

5. Member
    Summer is short up here but not quite that short, lol! I plan to use my LVS32 & 9" EM+ on the ice this winter. I share all the same concerns with weight and battery life. I'll probably build a shelf on a shuttle w/ black box on the bottom and biggest battery I can tolerate behind the graph. I know some guys are using lithium batteries to save on weight, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that due to cost. I believe the ice kits everyone bought last winter had a 7", PS22, and 12 amp battery. From everything I heard, they ran all day without issue.

Wouldn't an LVS12 require an Ultra unit with a biggest screen and higher battery draw? I'm wondering if that might even be worse than 9 inch + black box.

6. Member
    Yeah you would need an ultra unit but really the 10” isnt much bigger than a 9” plus unit. Probably just stick with a ps22 for now

7. Member
    I used my LVS32 last winter and totally love that thing! I do think if $$ are a issue that the LVS12 would still be better than any other thing out there right now. My setup uses the 93SV+. I was able to run it all day long with a 10aH LiPo4Fe battery. I have a spare that I would keep on the charger all day, because it will drain them in a full day. I want to check out the new bigger LiPo4Fe 20aH batterries.

8. Member
    @sra61 are you using a Vexilar shuttle or something similar to lug it all around? How was the weight for hole-hopping?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    Yeah the details maybe isnt quite as necessary for ice fishing. Power draw is a big factor also.
    I ran the PS22 for ice fishing last year and just upgraded to the LVS32. I for one am really looking forward to the more detailed view when searching for cover. On the PS22 I could see that there was cover there, but I couldn't tell what it was. The LVS32 is much clearer :)

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcelmury View Post
    @sra61 are you using a Vexilar shuttle or something similar to lug it all around? How was the weight for hole-hopping?
    There is a group on Facebook called: Garmin Ice Fishing. A guy in that group by the name of Todd Dye came up with a shuttle that fits in the Clam large electronics bag. He fabs them on his 3D printer! Awesome technology. He has different options that you can include. I thought it was a great value, especially when Garmin themselves didn't even offer anything like it. The market and American enginuity found a way. In the short video, take note of the glow cup that he incorporated! It's never going to be really light and portable, but I wouldn't fish without it. I'll deal with the minor drawbacks!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1942...1128015905270/