Ranger R93 with new G2 200 Ho set up

Hello,
    Please tell me what you think the way my dealer set up my new motor.
    Looks like the new evinrude is 4 and 3/4 inches down from the pad .
    And they installed a raker 2 with 22pitch.
    Dealer tested and said 68 mph at 6000rpm.
    Now my test so far has been 65 mph at 5800 with two people and tounament gear.
    But at 65 got alot of chine walk and had to get out of it .
    Question is does it sound like it could need a larger prop or be raised on the transom?

2. Pat Goff
    You're probably both correct.
    100 lbs = 1mph typically.
    And the boats doing what it's supposed to do, find someone to give you a driving lesson, it's not broken.

When you raise the motor, steering is going to get stiffer, lose some lift, but the wobbles will lesson. Boat setup is simple, take it too far and bring it back, you need to find out what too high is, and what too low is, it takes time and effort but there's not a shortcut if you want optimum.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    If that motor is bolted to the transom you need a 6" jack plate so you can raise your motor up closer to 4"+ under.

4. Member
    Sounds ok.

I like the Raker HO better (25 on mine). I know I do not have the built in setback but I'm right around 3.5 below pad and she starts to Chine at 69. I only have ever had her up at 71-73 for a few minutes a couple times So it too need to learn to drive it.

I bet you could raise it and upsize that prop and see more.. Might make her run better in the 50 - 60 MPH range keep you out of the limiter too.
    1994 Ranger 392
    1994 200 Johnson Venom Oops not any more
    2017 200ho G2
    The old girl has some serious kick now

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    If that motor is bolted to the transom you need a 6" jack plate so you can raise your motor up closer to 4"+ under.
    4+ under ? Can you explain I am at 4and three fourths from the pad now.

6. Pat Goff
    Are you flat on transom? If so you can’t run as high.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. Member
    4" and up not down. If your set in the top holes now you can raise it one bolt hole and try it but a jack plate would let you adjust it to where it actually needs to be.

8. Member
    I am in the 3rd hole now from the top i think i can go 2 more holes .
    I am not going to put a jack plate I cant afford it Right now , but i could move the motor up if it will help?

9. Member
    If it's running 65 at that height loaded and your not going to put a plate on it learn to drive it and get control of the chine. If you think it will gain anything raise it up and try it because you won't be satisfied until you do but watch the water pressure and if it starts to porpoise at all drop it back down. Putting a larger prop on it will cost you rpm's which will actually hurt the motor and probably gain you nothing. I don't know how many hours you have on it but it may open up a little at 50 hrs. and gain 100 or so rpm's and some speed. You need to balance the boat load side to side and that will help with the chin walk too.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    its an R boat it needs a 6" jackplate maybe only 4" with the G2. but you need a jackplate to get it setup properly

11. Member
    Thanks for the good info , it has only 14. Hrs I am going to save up for jack plate , I just did not want to add any more weight the boat is sitting alot lower in the back compared to the ficht 200 Ram I had before .
    I have been trying to balance the gear but 4-60 pound batterys and a minnkota 4 bank with the new G2 200 HO ,
    Baby got back if you know what i mean Lol.

The G2 runs better mounted high but you don’t necessarily need a JP to at least get close to where it needs to be. I don’t know the R boats but 4 3/4” seems pretty low. First, make sure that you are measuring prop to pad correctly. If you’re really at 4 3/4” and have it mounted in the third hole from the top, then you can get another 1 1/2” by moving it to the bottom hole. That would put you at 3 1/4” and probably closer to where you need to be.

Contrary to popular opinion, you can get by without a JP. But if you decide to get one, assuming you have a DPS motor, you will need one with an extension 4” less than what you’re hull requires with a standard setback motor. In other words, the DPS G2 has a built in setback of 4” more than standard motors.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

13. Member
    86 you are making great sence , I know that the G2 Set back is there for fact because my custom ranger cover no longer fitts.
    I used a t square from center of the prop line to bottom of boat. Its at least 4and 3/4 inches down maybe even 5 .
    I am in the thrid hole from the top.
    I am going to take your advice and raise it then , put in the fifth hole down.
    I ran 64 all day with my Ram ficht 200 and I never had any chine at sky high trim settings.
    So something needs to be fixed if 65 with G2 is chine walking like crazy. Going to be awhile before I can make the Changes got to get a tool to connect to the motor i think so i can lift it with the old engine lift.
    Not sure where to get the tool yett.

14. Member
    you need a 4 inch jackplate - 24 pitch raker HO - it will walk terrible with the plate all the way down - if you raise it up a couple inches it goes away - my best is 70 at 5750 and I consistently run 66-67 with full load.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    yes all R boats need some sort of jackplate ... there like a diferent boat w one. I realize the g2 has more setback then average why i said 4 " in my above post.. Joebone1 knows has same setup

Again, I don’t know your boat. I only know what it took to get mine right. I actually had to remove my jackplate. Then I mounted it on the transom in the bottom hole. That gave me a p2p of 2 3/4” and a setback of 6”. Way better performance and speed than with the jackplate. But my hull is skinny and it didn’t like the motor sitting so far back with the 6” setback of my jackplate added to the 6” of the G2. The a$$ end was way too deep in the water.

Until you can set yours up like Joe’s, you could try raising it on the transom just to see what it does.

Here’s a link to how to properly measure your p2p

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=62660
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419