04 Tracker Avalanche Rebuild Thread

Well this project is taking just about forever. I didn't post much about it during the tear-down so I guess I'll post in the reverse!

The project started as "I'll just replace the carpet". To get the carpet out the ENTIRE inside of the boat had to come out.

Not awesome. Not at all.

Once it was gutted to the floor I felt the foam through some holes that were drilled in the aluminum floor (there is not ONE SINGLE piece of wood in this boat, 100% aluminum). The foam was soaked. I drilled the rivets on the floor and pulled up all the panels exposing the waterlogged foam.

Removing the foam is the worse. Job. Ever. I'd rather stick a needle in my testicles than do this job again. Dead serious. There's no easy way. It's knuckle bleeding manual labor. The transom was filled with foam. I had to cut access holes into it (non structural panels) to rip the foam out. Those 2 pods in the transom were the most difficult to clean out.

With the foam 100% removed I used a pressure washer to clean off the residual scraps of foam. With the hull clean I identified a few cracked welds that secure the support beams to the hull. I found a local shop to repair the welds.

I ordered foam from FSIfoamkits.com. You can check my review of that company in the Restorations forum. They are FANTASTIC. I poured the foam today. The high spots will be cut flat and all cuts will be sealed with a waterproofing paint (Killz).

Carpet is 16oz Syntec. I'll be using Weldwood original on almost all the carpet. The carpet on the floor of the rod lockers will be secured with 3M Super 90 spray adhesive. I need something with some working time and forgiveness to work the contours of of the hull that make the bottom of the lockers. The carpet also tucks up under the gunnels. I imagine that would be almost impossible with contact cement.

The livewell plumbing is being replaced and upgraded. I'm putting in 2 1000gph fill pumps, 2 1000gph aerators (one with pump-out) and a 1000gph automatic bilge. All hoses are being replaced and I'm using Flow-rite QuikLok fittings.

I had some motor work done. The exhaust tuner came loose on the XR6 so I had a Bob's tuner installed. I also had solid motor mounts installed and sent the heads to JSRE to be shaved.

I'll attach more pics as I get her back together. This game sucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jprovencher80; 07-16-2019 at 08:42 PM.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

2. Member
    Looks good man, GL with the rebuild!
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

3. Member
    You have done a great job so far. The only thing
    that you should back up on is cutting the heads.
    Running high compression on a heavy boat will
    only cut your engine life short. 93 octane is the highest
    available here and thats not likely enough to support
    your engine.
    I ran an engine hard for 9yrs that had the intake
    and exhaust ported and polished, with enlarged ports,
    cut exhaust tube, but I left the heads stock. Thats the
    reason it lived so long. Just sayin. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

4. Member
    I did consider that. Prior to getting the engine work done I looked into repowering. I decided if I repower I'm going with a 175hp ProXS 4stroke. The dealer said they won't be available till November at the earliest. Jay at JSRE also mentioned I have "relief" port heads. He said I could continue to run on 89 as they will bleed off compression at a point.

5. Member
    Got some carpeting done. This is the rear deck. I used the stickied method from the Restorations forum for the corners. I use original Weldwood contact cement for the adhesive. The foam under the lids is cut to pressure-fit and is 1/2" thick. It's adhered to the under side of the lid with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. The lock nut for the hatch also helps with retention. I used wax paper to keep the carpet and aluminum separated and slowly pulled the was paper out to stick the carpet. I worked in sections on larger areas. The rivet holes were found with a pin, marked with sharpie and then burned through with a 3/16" drill bit that I heated with a torch. This gives a nice clean hole for the rivet to drop through. The Harbor Freight pneumatic riveter is clutch. Makes re installing the hinges infinitely easier and faster.
    IMG_20190719_083741.jpgIMG_20190719_080941.jpgIMG_20190719_092310.jpgIMG_20190719_092427.jpgIMG_20190719_153325.jpgIMG_20190719_185836.jpgIMG_20190721_140410.jpgIMG_20190721_140441.jpgIMG_20190721_124142.jpg

6. Member
    Thats sure looking good. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

7. Member
    As an owner of an 04 Avalanche, I feel your pain. I also had some mold that required new carpeting and some foam replacement, though not as extensive as yours. It will be worth it in the end.

I replaced the electronics this year which turned out awesome. I went with Ulterra and two helix 7's all networked (DO IT!). with the huge decks, the boat is awesome to fly fish out of and with the electronic warfare/surveillance upgrade, the boat is a trout vacuum..

If anyone has one for sale on the west coast, let me know, I have a buddy that wants to buy one.

8. Member
    Your rebuild is looking great. Neat trick with the wax paper. It's a pain but you'll be proud of it when your finished.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

9. Banned
    So in this picture (assuming back deck?) you laid out a big piece of carpet over the whole thing and then cut out the hatch opening after it was set? I have no type of stencil to use for my recarpet so im worried about cutting those right since its my understanding it should come from a single piece.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc575 View Post
    So in this picture (assuming back deck?) you laid out a big piece of carpet over the whole thing and then cut out the hatch opening after it was set? I have no type of stencil to use for my recarpet so im worried about cutting those right since its my understanding it should come from a single piece.

That's correct. I cut the angles and used clamps to "dry fit" the carpet. I then adhered the slanted part 1st. Then worked towards the back. Wrapped the edges then cut the hatches. After the general cutout for the hatches I cut 45* into the corners to make the flaps that fold down. I then pressed the flaps down and trimmed them flush to the bottom of the hatch inner edge. Then glued the flaps. Finish by cutting triangles for the hatch inside corners

11. Member
    I'm about to start removing the foam from my Avalanche. I'm curious how difficult it was to remove the decking? Is it just drilling out rivets? Also about how much foam is needed?

12. Member
    Hey Megaz28,
    I am about to re-carpet my tracker avalanche, just curious if you have any recommendations or pitfalls to avoid. Any info would be appreciated! Thx

13. Member
    It comes apart fairly easily. No real pitfalls. Take your time removing the old carpet. You want to be able to use the old stuff as a template for the new carpet. Definitely consider replacing the foam while you have it apart. I can almost guarantee you’ll find your fully saturated. It’s a grueling process but worth it.

14. Member
    400+ hours in on mine to date.....i feel your pain.....hehehe

Avalanche is a very cool hull.... it was high on my list, but, I couldn't find a suitable one at a reasonable price when I was in search mode.

Keep at it as it's very satisfying once completed.