Looking for a short frog rod for medium to heavy cover

HI all,

I am currently running the Okuma TCS 7'3 heavy (1/2oz -2 oz) as my frog rod. What i have noticed is that the rod is a bit underpowered when I am fighting bigger fish or fish in heavy cover.

The ideal specs for such rod for me would be:

* Max length 7 foot
    * fast/extra fast tip in order to be able to throw lighter frogs and still be able to 'walk-the-dog' them
    * well balanced with a 6.5+ oz reel
    * robust

Thanks for your ideas and recommendations!

Megabass Levante Tour Versatile

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Megabass Levante Tour Versatile
    Thanks for the recommendation! How would this rod compare to the Orochi Spinnerbait Special in terms of backbone and action? Sounds like they could be fairly similar, no?

4. Banned
    Powell Endurance 6'8 MH XF. Any Dobyns 705.

5. Member
    I dont think that a MH will do it. Would need to be a heavy or even a extra heavy, with fast (x-fast) taper, no?

Dobyns 705c should do the trick, I use it for jigs around docks all the time, good tip for accuracy, tons of backbone

Quote Originally Posted by freelancer27 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation! How would this rod compare to the Orochi Spinnerbait Special in terms of backbone and action? Sounds like they could be fairly similar, no?

It's more stout but tip is still very versatile. It's a blast to fish. Doubles as a good skipping rod too.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    It's more stout but tip is still very versatile. It's a blast to fish. Doubles as a good skipping rod too.
    Thanks for the reply. My Spinnerbait special's reel seat is damaged and I was planning to send it in. Would be an idea to replace it with the Orochi Tour Versatile that I could then use for skipping docks and also for throwing smaller frogs. For the really big stuff I will probably continue to rely on my Steez XBD rod.

9. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    If you are considering Megabass, I'd give on the length requirement and get a 7'2" Perfect Pitch. It has a "magic tip" and will handle both heavy cover and big fish without even breaking a sweat. I have an Gen 1 XX Tour Versatile and for me it does a lot of things OK but doesn't do anything really well. I can use my TV for pretty much all the things I use my Diablo Spec-Rs and Perfect Pitch for but the DS-R and the PP are so much nicer to fish with.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Thanks for the reply. My Spinnerbait special's reel seat is damaged and I was planning to send it in. Would be an idea to replace it with the Orochi Tour Versatile that I could then use for skipping docks and also for throwing smaller frogs. For the really big stuff I will probably continue to rely on my Steez XBD rod.

Glad to help out....I landed a 10lb plus fish on a frog with the TV. It works great for me on frogs and skipping as I noted. If I am throwing a Braid Buzzbait by Santone with is a stout buzzbait I love the TV for that as well.

11. Banned
    Falcon 7’ heavy is my favorite. Soft enough for casting and working the lure but enough backbone to set the hook. 6’11” falcon Christie frog rod would probably be better but I haven’t tried it yet. The 7’3” falcon is really nice but I like 7’ frog rods.

12. Member
    I’ve used a St Croix Avid 6’6” MH before for frogs and loved it. Short enough for accurate casts but stout enough to jack their jaw.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

13. Member
    Dobyns 705

14. Banned
    I dont think that a MH will do it. Would need to be a heavy or even a extra heavy, with fast (x-fast) taper, no?
    That 6'8 Powell Endurance I got is one tough SOB. Ive put it to the test with frogs, no issues. If I were going by a Dobyns system, Id call it a 685.

15. Member
    Cashion CRT 7' heavy

16. Member
    Abu Garcia vendetta 6'9" mh. Broke a rod and used this in a pinch and haven't looked back in 4 years. Perfect length handle for power and can skip it so easy. Boat flipped 3or4 7-8lbs no prob.
    2017 Z18
    175 ProXS
    Dual Poles
    Ultrex
    2 Garmin 93SV+

17. Member
    Cara Jason Christie frog Rod is a good short one

18. Member
    Denali Rosewood is one that I like. 6'10" and has a soft tip that walks a frog great.

ALX Rods ZOLO Skipper fits the bill perfectly. Winched plenty of fish out of very heavy cover with it.

20. Member
    7’ Falcon Lizard Dragger 1

If you want a slightly heavier action use the Lizard Dragger 2.