Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Our club tournaments attract enough boats to pay upwards of 2k for 1st place for a 1 day tournament.
    That is a really good payout. Most clubs here only have 10 to 20 boats and fish for $20 bucks.

2. Member
    Whats the difference in this and the ABA ram open series? They don't allow pro's to fish them unlike FLW that allow Touring Pros to fish the BFL. Where a pro just one on lake champlain last sat I'm sure he didn't mind taking weekend guys money.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    I get what they're going for. We have a few guys who are regular winners because of the amount of time they get to put in on the water. Personally, I still fish because sometimes I best them and that's fun but tournament fishing is just a hobby so I don't get bent out of shape over someone else who can fish more than me. However, I do know that alot of people don't fish because they think they have no chance and it's a waste of their time and money. I don't agree with that mindset but it's this type of person this trail is targeting. To each their own. If it ain't your thing don't fish it.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

4. Member
    I don't tournament fish, but my good friend does and has fished Angler's Choice, USA Bassin, and now Mutiny so I know a little bit about the local tournaments. I think shooter66's point is being overlooked. Angler's Choice runs local tournaments and will get 50+ boats each tournament. Yes, the same group of guys usually place near the top each tournament. Angler's Choice then decides to offer an "amateur" tournament series on the same waters and they will be cutting there regular series enrollment in half, thus affecting the payouts for the regular series. I think a way to prevent that would be to make a rule that you must be registered in the "regular" AC series to be able to fish the "amateur" series and maybe only have 1 or 2 amateur series events.

I don't have an issue with an amateur tournament series, but I do see an issue with an established tournament series splitting there field and pulling enrollment from the regular series on the same waters.

5. Member
    Honestly, this isn't a bad idea. Softball and hockey leagues have levels from people just learning to play at 30 years old to leagues where you pretty much had to play college ball/hockey to keep up. Road racing has classes based on the car, but they aren't putting full NASA AIX cars out against the spec Miata guys. Drag racing you have street classes for guys who drive to and from the track, faster brackets for more competition based, stick shift classes to require a clutch, all the way up to top alcohol dragsters and pro mods. You compete against your own kind. Heck, even in RC car racing there are amateur classes.
    This is the same thing, but with tournament fishing. It's one thing to go out and catch fish on your day off. It's another to learn to find the fish needed to win ANY tournament when you're on a time crunch. It's even harder to learn how to tournament fish when you're competing against guys who have fished bigger tours (Opens, even BASS Nation championships, etc.). Some people can do it, some can't. Why not let everyone have some fun with competitive fishing?
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

What's funny is the closest AC circuit to me is on Pool 13 of the Missi and it has some very good sticks that fish it. Almost all the names that fish it are capable of winning on big stages.

As for me, idk how I feel about it. One of the things that drove me to becoming better is trying to beat the best guys you're fishing against. Whenever certain people show up to tournaments I'm in, it becomes my mission to beat them. Sometimes it works out sometimes not but when it does it makes you feel like a victory.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    That is a really good payout. Most clubs here only have 10 to 20 boats and fish for $20 bucks.
    Our entry fees are $150-200 and 40 to 60 boats paying 1 place for every 6 boats. They also hold 2 day classics at the end of the season. The local clubs copied from AC just offering the 95% payback at the ramp.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Lounge rookie...no offense.
    LOL No offense taken! I have seen enough to know that restraint and common sense are often frowned upon here.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567