Used 1997 202DC value??

Hey Guys,

I am potentially buying a used '97 champ 202 with a 2005 merc 225 efi on it. I am hoping for some advice and things to look out for with this boat. I am going to look at it Saturday.
    Here is the FB ad:
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3702895800939/
    and here are some other pics the current owner sent me:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/srvfkKSxJcr4AwGf6

the main concerns i have are the keel damage (although i think i can fix that), the soft spot in the floor by the drain and the single axle trailer. Also apparently the rite hite jack plate is bad news?
    I am pretty sure he will give it to me for $6500.. worth it? or steer clear?

Thank you in advance, i am sure these posts get old but they are extremely helpful to people in the market for a used boat.

2. Member
    I just bought a 97 202 this spring and have already probably put 2000 miles or so on the single axle trailer and never felt bad or worried about it.

Personally I would steer clear of fiberglass problems like that, but then again I wouldn't look at that and think I can fix it like you are thinking. Looks like top cap is fried too.
    1997 Champion 202 w/225 ProMax

3. Member
    That rig could use a LOT of work, depending on where you want to get it. Thing looks to have been rode hard and put up wet, a lot. I'd want to get the price down much further than that just to have the headroom needed to address the obvious issues, no telling what else you may find.

Again, depends on where you want to get it to, but I'm seeing at least a full gel coat clean up job, if it can be saved, a carpet job, seats for cosmetic stuff, prop work, what's up with that skeg. The soft floor concerns me for what else in the structure could have issues. It's obviously had part of the keel guard removed. The obvious question is with it in this overall condition, what kind of care has that engine and transom had? What about running gear on the trailer? Could end up needing a bunch of trailer work too. Not trying to scare you off, just pointing out the obvious. If the rest of the boat is any clue, I'd really be checking out those carefully.

It's a steer clear to me. Saving up and spending a few thou more on something nicer may be WELL worth it.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

Run away boats been used and abused

2009 ELITE 210

Gonna need about 4k of work to get it right unless you want a beater.

6. Member
    Thanks guys. I was on the fence and I'm gonna pass now

7. Member
    That's a good idea. That's a serious rebuild project. Motor may be worth a couple grand, boat and trailer is maybe $1k, as is. With a soft floor, I'd be willing to be on transom and stringer issues as well. Good luck to the seller, but he's gonna be doing well to see $5k out of that mess as is. Sad, because it's at least a $10k rig if it was in passable shape.

8. Member
    Yep that's a pass!