250 Pro XS 4 Stroke Idle RPMS

Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    SN: 2B591823

What RPMS should I have at idle? The screw stop on my hot foot came loose. This prevented the foot pedal from being in the right position at rest. I noticed the RPMS were a little high and it was shifting hard. I want to make sure it's set right.

2. Member
    Mine idles at 600. It’s a 225 but I bet they’re the same
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

3. mikesxpress
    Manual says 600.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You cannot "set" the idle with the hotfoot. Idle speed is PCM controlled.

Hotfoot must consistently return the Demand Sensor to the IDLE (zero percent demand) position. This is normally confirmed and setup in conjunction with the Computer Diagnostic System (G3-2019).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    My hotfoot has a screw that is used to regulate how far back the hot foot goes in the rest position. I ended up removing it completely. I now idle at 600 rpms

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    My hotfoot has a screw that is used to regulate how far back the hot foot goes in the rest position. I ended up removing it completely. I now idle at 600 rpms
    Should not be removed. Should be SET PROPERLY (as it is critical to proper and consistent operation of the throttle linkage inside the cowling).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor