Cool HDS Live 16" vs 12" at drivers console

Hey Guys, I need some help with my Lowrance stuff. I have a 2019 Ranger 520C with a HDS 12" at the console and a 9" at the bow. I want to do remove the units from the flush mount and use a external mount (BBT or PS). A question for you guys who have used the external mount. Is the mount much of a improvement over the flush mount in the bow panel? I thought about moving the 12" HDS to the front a getting a 16"HDS for the console. I really wish ranger would have used a mount instead of flush mounting these units. Looks good in the showroom but, its not worth a rip on the lake. Being close to 50 years old and needing the ol reading glasses don't help either. Anybody have a 16" single mounted at the console? Help.....

2. Member
    I prefer two 12s at the console over one large screen. And a 12 on the bow (or 2 12s if you've got the $$$). This helps if you need to swap units while troubleshooting.
    Solix 12 Gen2 Mega+ SI, Helix 7 DI G3, Helix 10 G3N SI +, Helix 9 G3N SI +.
    Upgraded to Mega imaging from a HDS-12 Carbon

I have the BBT mounts at both location and like them a lot. I will say that if I had a 16 at the console, I'm not sure I could see over it to drive LOL
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I have the BBT mounts at both location and like them a lot. I will say that if I had a 16 at the console, I'm not sure I could see over it to drive LOL
    I have wondering about that myself. Thanks

5. Member
    Bump

6. Member
    I had BBT mounts bow and console on the Ranger I just sold. On my new boat I will only have one unit at each location and initially they will be flush mounted. I might put the bow unit on a raised BBT mount after I get it but not the console.

7. Member
    I too would prefer two HDS-12 units on the console versus one HDS-16.

That said I have a HDS-16 Live and a HDS-12 Live on the console. I use the HDS-16 most of the time for full-screen side-imaging. And the larger screen definitely shows fish better for my old eyes.

Sometimes I have split-screened both with each displaying a side-imaging panel. Left HDS showing left-only side imaging. Right HDS showing right-only side imaging. But that is really not necessary using full-screen SI on the HDS-16.

But some might like the HDS-16 on the bow since more time is spent on the TM fishing and moving around an area.

8. Member
    I had 2 12 Carbons on my boat last year. I moved to a single 16 HDS live this year with a BBT mega mount. Its Awesome. I don't be going back anytime soon. I can easily run dual maps on that unit and there is plenty of screen space. It does not mess with my view while driving either.
    2005 Ranger Z21 2005 Mercury Optimax 250XS Serial#OT999281 25P Mercury Tempest +

9. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Until the Live’s came out I ran 2 Carbon 12 on console and 1 on bow. Primarily because the split map config I run for ledge fishing seemed to push the CPU pretty hard when coupled with sidescan (lagging a bit). With the faster CPU on the Live’s this is no longer the case.

I opted to move to a single 16 on the console which saves power and more than $1000 compared to dual 12’s. Less cabling too. If you think about it, spending $3K for a mapping unit is a little bit...well...excessive. All your transducers end up connected to just one unit anyway even though some folks try variations of using “network SONAR” for some reason.

We install ONLY BBT mounts in the 100’s of boats we rig every season. Best on the market.

10. Member
    I’m running an HDS16 Live at my console on a PS mount. It’s definitely an improvement over the in-dash HDS12 that came with my boat. It’s helpful to tilt the screen and easier to press buttons without letting go of your steering wheel. No issues with visibility when driving. I’m 6’0”.

I’m also running an HDS12 Live on the bow with a PS mount. I like it a lot better being raised and with the flexibility to tilt the screen to my preference.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarrow View Post
    Until the Live’s came out I ran 2 Carbon 12 on console and 1 on bow. Primarily because the split map config I run for ledge fishing seemed to push the CPU pretty hard when coupled with sidescan (lagging a bit). With the faster CPU on the Live’s this is no longer the case.

I opted to move to a single 16 on the console which saves power and more than $1000 compared to dual 12’s. Less cabling too. If you think about it, spending $3K for a mapping unit is a little bit...well...excessive. All your transducers end up connected to just one unit anyway even though some folks try variations of using “network SONAR” for some reason.

We install ONLY BBT mounts in the 100’s of boats we rig every season. Best on the market.
    Roy - Old thread, but am thinking the same thing - just purchased a new Z520C and considering going a single 16 console - is this your rig-set-up?762BFC86-F286-4CA8-AD92-7365A6ED0D26.jpeg

12. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Yes sir. Still running the single 16. Love it.
    Wacky Riggers
    Sales and Service
    Power Pole - Lowrance - Garmin - DD26
    Regional Warranty Service for Lowrance Ghost, Garmin Force, & Power Pole

Phone: 704-762-9066 --- Text: 704-433-1373 --- roy@wackyriggers.com

13. Member
    Yes sir. Still running the single 16. Love it.
    Live or Carbon?

14. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Live.
    Wacky Riggers
    Sales and Service

15. Member
    Live.
    I’m considering doing the same thing the OP was talking about and wondering your thoughts - Move the in dash Live 12 up to the front with the Live 9 - Dedicating the Live 9 to Active Target, the Live 12 to down and mapping and the Live 16 at the console.

16. Member
    I have a 16” at the console on a BBT mount and it works great. I do split the screams and it works well. I have a 19 Skeeter FX and have zero issues seeing over it. Now if given the choice of two 12’s at the console I don’t know which I would prefer. I replaced my 9” upfront with a 12” on BBT mount. Most likely going to put another 12” on the bow for Active Target. Just a lot of money for someone that hasn’t been fishing much.
    2019 Skeeter FX-21
    250 SHO
    Lowrance 16” Live & 12” Live
    Ghost TM

I would put the 16 on the front where it is used the most
    Thank You Leon Pugh

18. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Personally, I will not go back to dual units either front or back. The HDS16 has a substantial resolution advantage over the 12" version which makes targets MUCH easier to see on side/down. It is easy to pop to full screen at the touch of a button if I need to do so.

I only use 2 screen setups at the console - a running configuration (chart/sonar) and a scanning configuration (chart/down with fish reveal/side). The 16 gives me better resolution, lower power consumption than 2 - 12", and saves about $1500.

On the bow, I use a single 12" Live with a couple of screen setups of which I really only use 1 99% of the time -- chart (1/4 screen) and the remainder Active Target. Again...at a touch of a button I can full screen either panel.

Unless you are vertically fishing there is rarely any need for 2D or downscan any longer with Active Target. I simply use my bow unit to position the boat near a waypoint that I created from the console and then Active Target to find the object(s). I also use HB Mega 360 on the bow which is great but if I had to give up Active Target or 360, the HB would be gone. I find Active Target a better technology for me than LiveScope (which I used for the past 2 + years) and I was able to reduce my unit count on the bow. I do use AT on a Fishing Specialities pole system (not on the Ghost) which I much prefer as I do use anchor lock at lot.

Having more units on the boat doesn't make you a better angler no matter how impressive it might look. All it does is take money out of your pocket, drain your battery faster, and overly complicate the rigging.

And...before we get into this or that about why someone might prefer having multiple units....been there and done that 20 times myself...and have heard every possible justification from 100's of anglers coming through the shop. Whatever trips your trigger is OK by me... <LOL> but in my opinion, it is more important that you actually know HOW to use a couple of units correctly than to make your boat look like it escaped from a Best Buy warehouse sale.

Just my $.02

Roy
    Wacky Riggers
    Sales and Service

19. Member
    Personally, I will not go back to dual units either front or back. The HDS16 has a substantial resolution advantage over the 12" version which makes targets MUCH easier to see on side/down. It is easy to pop to full screen at the touch of a button if I need to do so.

I only use 2 screen setups at the console - a running configuration (chart/sonar) and a scanning configuration (chart/down with fish reveal/side). The 16 gives me better resolution, lower power consumption than 2 - 12", and saves about $1500.

On the bow, I use a single 12" Live with a couple of screen setups of which I really only use 1 99% of the time -- chart (1/4 screen) and the remainder Active Target. Again...at a touch of a button I can full screen either panel.

Unless you are vertically fishing there is rarely any need for 2D or downscan any longer with Active Target. I simply use my bow unit to position the boat near a waypoint that I created from the console and then Active Target to find the object(s). I also use HB Mega 360 on the bow which is great but if I had to give up Active Target or 360, the HB would be gone. I find Active Target a better technology for me than LiveScope (which I used for the past 2 + years) and I was able to reduce my unit count on the bow. I do use AT on a Fishing Specialities pole system (not on the Ghost) which I much prefer as I do use anchor lock at lot.

Having more units on the boat doesn't make you a better angler no matter how impressive it might look. All it does is take money out of your pocket, drain your battery faster, and overly complicate the rigging.

And...before we get into this or that about why someone might prefer having multiple units....been there and done that 20 times myself...and have heard every possible justification from 100's of anglers coming through the shop. Whatever trips your trigger is OK by me... <LOL> but in my opinion, it is more important that you actually know HOW to use a couple of units correctly than to make your boat look like it escaped from a Best Buy warehouse sale.

Just my $.02

Roy
    I agree with Roy completely about using 16's over multiple smaller units. I use a single LIVE 16 at the bow, and currently a single LIVE 12 at the console, but will be getting a 16 for the console also soon. I use JR-207 mounts though so I can remove the units and secure them when not fishing.
    ciao,
    Marc

I have a 16 on the bow and dual 12s with a helper bird 9 on the console. I have the dual 12s for trolling with sidescan left on one and right on the other. Now with AT I'm not sure what is best. So much going on. When I'm on the bow I need AT, mapping, sidescan, downscan with fish reveal and livesight. It alot to process and the live 16 struggles.