Question 1999 nx882 alternator

I am running a ‘99 nitro series mercury 150 .. my cranking battery is dying by the end of the tournament day . I have a 1 year old zbattery I’m thinking it could be the alternator. Running 2 helix 10 and livewell off the cranking battery . Where is the alternator located ? Plz help

2. Member
    There is no alternator on the XR6, it has a stator / trigger. Your boat should have a voltmeter in the dash, what is it doing when you are running? Should be around 14V+ to charge the batteries when the engine is running.
    2020 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S - S/N 2B745597

-------------------------
    Eric
    AWFC(NAC/AW) USN (Ret) - P-3C Flight Engineer

2003 TR-21 Bassmaster Classic Edition
    2020 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S
    Garmin 126sv (x3)
    LiveScope LSV 34 // 60A Monster Lithium
    Garmin Force 50" 36v // 3 Ionic 50A Lithium

3. Member
    It’s not the original motor for this boat .. my buddy I bought it from had to replace the motor and went to a 99 nitro series mercury with a carbureted motor .. does this one have a stator as well ? And what is a stator ?

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BFJ View Post
    It’s not the original motor for this boat .. my buddy I bought it from had to replace the motor and went to a 99 nitro series mercury with a carbureted motor .. does this one have a stator as well ? And what is a stator ?
    https://hubpages.com/sports/Understa...ion-Components

For the amount of electrical stuff you are running. You should probably have a group 31 marine battery and an onboard charger to re-charge it after EVERY trip out on the water. Those older motors with stators don't put out a huge amount of amps for the recharging that is needed for today's modern bass boat/electronics needs.

I would suggest that you find yourself a good outboard mechanic and have your motors charging system checked out. If everything checks out OK, then upgrading to a group 31 battery(link below)(and charger) is your best bet.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...lp_product_1_1

5. Member
    What Mike said. That motor has a low power output and is not capable of charging your system. You need a bigger battery if not two ran in parallel.

6. Member
    Thanks guys .. I will give the battery upgrade a shot . I appreciate your advice