How good is platinum warranty

I’ve got the mercury 250 4s and am considering buying an additional 3 years, I figure some warranty is better then none, just wondering how close to factory warranty is it?

Much better than the gold , Platinum warranty will cover electrical and fuel issues under warranty if u ever have a problem.

3. Member
    Worth it, every penny of it on the older 2 stroke motors. They have covered every issue I have had. Compressors, fuel rails, lower units, etc.

4. Member
    Platinum and Gold are product protection plans, not warranties. Platinum protection will be as close to the original factory warranty as you can get and definitely better than Gold.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Platinum and Gold are product protection plans, not warranties. Platinum protection will be as close to the original factory warranty as you can get and definitely better than Gold.
    +1

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. mikesxpress
    None of them cover seals. FYI
    That includes lower unit seals.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    None of them cover seals. FYI
    That includes lower unit seals.
    When I drop my boat off at a certified dealer for maintenance as per manual I would think that they should look and service such things as seals if it is something that will go out as part of their maintenance plan, so if a seal fails because of no service then I feel it should have been caught at time of maintenance

8. Member
    So for instance I take my boat to do a 100 hr service and it’s in the platinum warranty time period and dealers does a lower unit service and next day I go out and the lower unit seal leaked and destroyed the lower unit I would say that should be covered

9. mikesxpress
    Your covered under the original base Mercury warranty for everything. Once you venture outside of the 3 years to these add on's, the seals are not covered.

How you feel has no affect on that.

10. Member
    I gamble, never have bought an extended warranty on anything, I think I am way ahead, I try to buy nothing but high quality stuff, it should outlast warranty.

11. mikesxpress
    Roger I was on that same program for many years until the technology advanced to the point of needing a laptop and proprietary software to conduct diagnosis & repairs. Now I'm restricted to changing plugs, oil/filter, belts, etc... so I get the extended warranties on the boat engine, marine electronics, and the EcoBoost truck.

Your a pool guy. I have questions about a lazy river install for my wife.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Roger I was on that same program for many years until the technology advanced to the point of needing a laptop and proprietary software to conduct diagnosis & repairs. Now I'm restricted to changing plugs, oil/filter, belts, etc... so I get the extended warranties on the boat engine, marine electronics, and the EcoBoost truck.

Your a pool guy. I have questions about a lazy river install for my wife.
    I am a concrete guy, pool guy, restaurant guy, and master on none of them, lol, shoot me a pm and I will see if I can help you.

13. Member
    If you get a plan get it in the first year of your warranty, the price of the plan will more than double by the third year......

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsully View Post
    If you get a plan get it in the first year of your warranty, the price of the plan will more than double by the third year......
    Not quite true there. But yes, it does go up each year, and once the 3 Year Factory Warranty Expires, NO FURTHER PRODUCT PROTECTION IS AVAILABLE.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress
    Your covered under the original base Mercury warranty for everything. Once you venture outside of the 3 years to these add on's, the seals are not covered.

How you feel has no affect on that.
    Even the Factory Warranty does not cover "Everything". Maintenance Items, Adjustments, Abuse, Neglect, Lack of Lubricant, Overheating, etc. etc. are not covered.

Warranty covers ONLY DEFECTS in Materials or Workmanship (not "anything that's broke or bad" like some people might "perceive").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor