Bilge pump won’t shut off

I was out in some rough water today and took on some water. After pulling the drain plug I could still hear the bilge pump running. I drove back to my hotel which is about 10-15 min away and it was still running. I disconnected all the positive wires to the battery to prevent the pump from burning out or draining my battery. Any ideas of what I should do or what could be the problem

2. Member
    sounds like the float switch is either stuck or broke. if you can reach the float switch see if push it down will the pump shut off.
    If not may have a broken contact.
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

3. Member
    You can over click the switch too much misaligning said — click it back to original position and it will work fine— guess one rainy day I clicked my on then off and went an extra click past off and misaligned said— then off position was actually on— I found this after cleaning the pump/ float wasn’t stuck and other trouble shooting

4. Member
    This happened to me the other day. I ended up having to troubleshoot in the rain on the lake. Pulled trolling battery and removed bottom panel and found that the nipple that the hose connects to was broken off. Bilge pump was just circulating water in the bottom of the hull lol......Spoke with Tim and he was great and sent me a brand new pump....I'd definitely look in the hull and verify any issues before going back out.....